which is the better option...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
running 2GB in single channel mode or 1GB in dual channel mode...? :confused: :confused: :confused: ...

my old motherboard's (ASUS P5NSLI) PCI-Ex16 slot was not working properly and I would have to play with my video card for about an hour to get my video card to work when I rebooted after powering down my system...

I put in an Asrock 775Dual Vsta and have had no problems with the video card ever since, but now it won't let me run my 2GB of GSkill DDR2 5300 in dual channel, just single channel (it recognizes the whole 2GB) and the bios has dual channel selected, it does recognize my two 512MB sticks of PNY Verto DDR2 6400 and runs them in dual channel mode though, also, either set that I put in only runs at 400Mhz for some reason, the board supports up to 667Mhz so I knew the PNY would be clocked down to 667Mhz, but not 400Mhz...

I saved about $20 buying this on ebay...

13-128-084-03.jpg

GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G

it should be arriving next week, but what should I go with until then...? 2GB single channel or 1GB dual channel...?

This is from personal experience.

When I had two 512MB modules inserted in my mobo my CPU had 128BIT access to the modules in this mode(Dual Mode).

I then brought 1GB memory module and only used this module. And I only had 64BIT access to the module.

Since then I have upgraded, again, see sig, and now have two 512MB modules which means my CPU has 128BIT access to the modules.

So go for the dual channel mode if you can. Which means two modules of the same make and spec inserted in your mobo.

This is from personal experience.

When I had two 512MB modules inserted in my mobo my CPU had 128BIT access to the modules in this mode(Dual Mode).

I then brought 1GB memory module and only used this module. And I only had 64BIT access to the module.

Since then I have upgraded, again, see sig, and now have two 512MB modules which means my CPU has 128BIT access to the modules.

So go for the dual channel mode if you can. Which means two modules of the same make and spec inserted in your mobo.

I know, but one of my kits isn't being recognized as dual channel for some reason even though I changed the bios option from auto to dual channel, I am also trying to figure out why either kit that I put in is only running at 400Mhz instead of at least 667Mhz (even the 800Mhz kit is being clocked down to 400Mhz)...

Back
Top Bottom