Cables: Ethernet vs. USB

You might just need to re-configure your connection to look at Ethernet over USB.

Now you probably need to reboot the modem. You removed the USB cable from the modem to your computer ... right? Only use the ethernet cable from modem to computer. Follow the steps required to reboot your DSL modem.
This is what is required.

Once you remove the USB the modem must be rebooted.

The benefit of using ethernet is that your pc does not have to be turned on for anyone else on the LAN to access the Internet.

I found a page that should help me with this, and I'll try it next Tuesday when the weather around here should be more cooperative so that my connection to the 'net won't be going out every few minutes, and when I restart my modem, the internet light will come on when it should.

Speaking of which, why does bad weather (namely rain) cause DSL connections to go out like this?

probably because the ground get's wet and then the cables underneath get wet either that or its not weather causing it maybe its something else

unplug the modem for 10 seconds and then plug it back in and see if that works, usually solves all my modem problems.

I just tried again, and it works. The problem was that I didn't have my PCs Ethernet driver installed.

I'm not really noticing any increase in speed. Seems just as fast as it was before.

Back
Top Bottom