Throwing an idea out there.

Then it should be encouragement to learn the English language. If you think of it in the right light, it's just a learning tool.

Personally I doubt the smartness system will work. It's just the personality of CF. We have too many young kids on here who just quickly reply with IM lingo and don't even bother properly checking their grammar or spelling just because it's a forum. One of the downsides of our generation I suppose...

d47a0a68.jpg
If cats could actually speak English, my cat would just sit there and blankly stare at that cat after he said that.

I think we should just bring up a new rule that states you must use proper grammar. The punishment could be anything like if a moderator sees a careless error in one of your posts, you get a warning. Every time you get 3 warnings you get a days worth of bantime.

Yeah, seriously. It's not that hard to make an effort to use correct spelling and grammar. Then when you talk to people online you don't look like a 12 year old idiot and be respected as such.

Is there a way you can just highlight improper grammar and spelling? Just by turning it red or something. The person will eventually stop using it.

not if they have dyslexia or have problems spelling etc
it's not fair to single out bad spelling or grammar if their is a real reason why they do it.

it's not fair to single out bad spelling or grammar if their is a real reason why they do it.

I totally agree with this view point. Let me take it a little farther.

By having the system highlight or underline spelling or grammatical errors you are in essence pointing them out to be ridiculed and harassed. Clean up your own act before you start critiquing some one else's.

Thelis,
It's ok you can read and write on an expert level. More power to ya. But it doesn't mean you can go and force others to do things like you do. You can try. But for the most part you'll run in to stiff opposition, as you've have here.
There will always be others that can't or won't post in a manner that makes it easy to decipher the content. But on the other hand there will be those among us that can and will take the time to figure out what was posted and handle it from there. If it bothers you so bad to look at those posts then in the infamous words of SetiShock, "Click, click, and move on."
Stop trying to make it difficult to be a member here. Or to attract new members.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations, nor are you here to live up to mine. You do your thing, and I'll do mine...

I agree with you seti, as well as with most of the opinions posted in this thread. I definitely see the advantages of writing in shorthand, or leetspeak, and to the guys that do write like that; I am not against any of you in any way.

My issue lies with the fact that on a forum that is trying to be professional (I can quote multiple posts and threads where an idea has been debunked since it would make the forum unprofessional) one might encounter a completely indecipherable post.

However, I also agree with the fact that you guys should be free to express yourself in any way you want, as long as it abides by the rules.

In short, this was just a suggestion as to how to make the forum look better but if it is going to scare away new members then I admit that it shouldn't be implemented.

Hey, unless you have dyslexia, the shift button can be found to the left & the right of the ABC section of your keyboard. Just letting you know you should capitalize, you already did all the grammar right please just capitalize your first letters, it will make the forum look better.

Back
Top Bottom