file sharing problem

ilovepcs25

Daemon Poster
hi this is my setup, ive got a desktop computer upstairs and ive got a laptop downstairs im trying to share files between the two but i wanna be able to access these files on my laptop when the desktop isnt turned on these files are mostly music and videos.
using a cable between the two isnt viable as i don't really wanna carry my laptop upstairs to connect them together.
id also rather not use the router as im frightened that if i try to file share over the router i'll do something wrong and screw up the internet connections.
is it just a simple case of file permissions or have i got to resort to installing a external hdd to my desktop transferring all the files i want from my desktop onto it and then onto my laptop.
my laptop is running xp pro and my desktop is running xp home.

hope someone can advise me on the simplest idiot proof solution.

Matt

simplest idiot proof solution.

If you're trying to share the files as in both have access to the files, but they're in 1 location, then it won't be too simple. At least not as far as me helping you. Not very good with networking (thus why I'm taking NetPrep and then getting my certificate). And you mentioned that you didn't want that.

Just use your external HDD and use flash-drives if you have some available. I remember when my dad and I had to move 15GB of VR files using a 1GB and a 512MB flash drives.

ive got about 10gb of music and about 50gb of video clips
i guess it's gonna take a few good hours to transfer them from desktop to laptop via the external hdd.

i did think about using my network places and adding a location but i got a access denied please check file permissions error.

Back
Top Bottom