Computer running XP keeps restarting

Did you also try to run the anti-virus on safe mode? Give that a try. It usually helps if you have a 2nd computer as you can swap parts to help you isolate the problem if it is hardware. I don't know whether drivers could cause this problem, but give them a look and see if there's any possible updates. Overheating could be an issue as mentioned before.

When did this start to happen?

If it's not on that system or set up to alert or set too high, then no.
Intel's will throttle back unless the temps zing right up to the shut down temp. AMD relies on sensors provided on the motherboard. But it's the same in either case. It's a self defense mechanism that tries to keep you from toasting your expensive investment.

@Optimus Ping You said you have it set to not restart when it crashes and to log the event. Can you provide us with any other info from the event log? Is it BSODing or just shutting down. If no bsod then i'll stay with overheated or a short in the wiring. Like Johnny5 said " Need input."

Personally I'd backup everything you regard as critical just to be safe.

What are the system specs?

All very well people troubleshooting for you but I fail to see how they can make any but the most generalised suggestions without knowing what the hardware is.

Most "instant" restarts are psu related, memory restarts should give a blue screen, overheating (Intel) cpu's will throttle.

There are sooooo many variables that without hardware detail specifics it's all guesswork/conjecture.

Solution!

Ok the solution to this was the power supply.

As soon as I swapped it out with another one that I knew to be good the issues stopped. Not a single restart.

Thanks for everyone who posted!

Back
Top Bottom