Mice: Laser or Optical?

Dot Cong

In Runtime
I have no idea which one to get. I need to upgrade to a wireless mouse, I need power/range and ease of use. I also want a mouse that's not going to jump like mexican jumping beans every time it sees a piece of dust or imperfection in the surface. Now to my question, laser or optical? Which is more sensitive to interference? In other words, which one would be good for just every day use, graphics work(photoshop, corel, etc.) and light gaming? Thanks in advance.

They are actually both optical in a sense. Laser is just an LED with an optical sensor, where as optical is usually infrared. At least I think it's infrared.

I personally think either would be good for you. They are both as equally sensitive to dust in my opinion. Both do have a problem working on reflective surfaces such as polished wood or glass, which is why I use a piece of construction paper under my wireless optical mouse.

Optical is a optical sensor with an LED. The laser mice use an infrared laser diode to light the surface for it's sensor.

Laser mice are usually more precise, most gaming mice are usually laser.

Stick with optical for now. Laser hasn't fully matured to the level where it's actually worth the price. Especially all those expensive laser "gaming" mice.

I'd look at features and comfort before laser vs optical. If you don't need 1600dpi they are essentially the same.

Optical works fine with me, just don't go cheap with optical and get something that's $5, they will act up on you and the cursor will randomly move all over... I've had 2 crappy optical mice before I finally bought something that worked right.

Strange... I guess I am getting my laser and optical messed up?

lol laser does not mean LED.

Optical mice use an LED to illuminate the "mousing" surface and a sensor to read the movement of the surface under the mouse

Laser mice are similar except only like a really small portion is lit up and you can't see the light

Back
Top Bottom