All your RAM are now belong to me

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Translation: I have upgraded to a 64-Bit OS.

I finally got my product key issue sorted out. I just didn't type it when it asked me to, but now I have to actually call Microsoft to activate it because it's giving me some trouble :mad:

But still, from what I am noticing, 64-bit runs a lot smoother, and I didn't have any troubles finding drivers or anything like that. The only thing thats confusing is two Program File folders, one marked X86 (for 32-bit programs)

I don't know why I decided to upgrade to 64-bit, since 32-bit with SP1 recognized all 4 gigs as well, but I did get the performance boost I was hoping I would get. I just hate downloading and installing all the updates, that takes forever even on a high speed connection. Sometimes it takes longer to install than it does to download them, too.

I'll work on installing games later on, right now I got some mind clearing to do, maybe a little sleeping, and then some more updating on this beast. 64-BIT FTW!!!!

Anyone know how to import a .json bookmark backup into Firefox? I really don't want to go through and get all the sites back manually. Google turned up no results.

BTW, For those of you who don't know, the title is supposed to sound like the infamous game quote from Zero Wing: "All your base are belong to us."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

That's because Vista 32-bit can see all four GB of RAM, but it isn't able to use it, as no 32-bit OS actually can.

FlightSimBoy: I know that with my Thunderbird e-mails I can just replace the folder at App Data. That restores every e-mail. I'm assuming this works with Firefox too. The only problem I see is that you didn't copy the folder. So maybe if you snoop around the actualy file could be copied and pasted in there somewhere? I won't guarantee you anything.

That's because Vista 32-bit can see all four GB of RAM, but it isn't able to use it, as no 32-bit OS actually can.

yup, cabbs here is right. If you have a 512mb of video memory the max ram a 32bit os will utilize it 3.5gb, this doesn't take into account other memory from the motherboard and other devices. Microsoft had an update that fixed it not displaying the right amount of ram, but it's only cosmetic, it doesn't mean you will be able to utilize it.

Ahh.. That makes sense now. But now that I can fully utilize the 4 gigs, this thing runs so fast..

FlightSimBoy: I know that with my Thunderbird e-mails I can just replace the folder at App Data. That restores every e-mail. I'm assuming this works with Firefox too. The only problem I see is that you didn't copy the folder. So maybe if you snoop around the actualy file could be copied and pasted in there somewhere? I won't guarantee you anything.

No App Data folder, and I also browsed every folder for the bookmark thing. I found nothing. I think the bookmark backup is corrupted somehow now, because I can't even open it with notepad like I was able to before.

yup, cabbs here is right. If you have a 512mb of video memory the max ram a 32bit os will utilize it 3.5gb, this doesn't take into account other memory from the motherboard and other devices. Microsoft had an update that fixed it not displaying the right amount of ram, but it's only cosmetic, it doesn't mean you will be able to utilize it.

Actually, if you have a dedicated video card like I do, then you still get all the RAM you have installed. 4 gb is 4 gb with a dedicated video card no matter what. On-board is a different story, of course. Now that I have 64-bit, I can utilize all 4 which is awesome. Factor that in with my other parts, and then I have myself a beast of a computer... I only need a better processor, which I will look for in about 6 months....

Is there only a performance boost if you have 3.5GB+ of ram? Since i have a 64BIT CPU, and 1.5GB ram. Would it make sence to run a 64 bit OS, and would I notice a difference?

Is there only a performance boost if you have 3.5GB+ of ram? Since i have a 64BIT CPU, and 1.5GB ram. Would it make sence to run a 64 bit OS, and would I notice a difference?

I wouldn't recommend it with only 1.5GB of memory.

Right now I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and I'm only running 1 window of firefox, windows sidebar with 5 gadgets, setpoint, avast anti virus, Du meter, Vzw Access, bluetooth hub, active sync and I'm using 1.4GB of memory.

That would only leave you with 100MB free so I wouldn't recommend getting it until you have more memory.

Actually, if you have a dedicated video card like I do, then you still get all the RAM you have installed. 4 gb is 4 gb with a dedicated video card no matter what. On-board is a different story, of course. Now that I have 64-bit, I can utilize all 4 which is awesome. Factor that in with my other parts, and then I have myself a beast of a computer... I only need a better processor, which I will look for in about 6 months....

no, you don't. I'm not talking about shared memory be used by onboard video, in the case I was talking about a dedicated card. The 32bit OS can only allocate address for 4gb of memory. This 4gb is all the memory in your system (including your dedicated video card) of which your RAM is the last thing that is allocated. Thus leaving you high and dry without your full 4gb.

I can't find the source I originally got it from, but this seems to lay it out pretty well. Search google if you want more info, there is a ton of it.
http://www.asisupport.com/ts_4GB_memory_info.htm

From the site:
"• PCI Express support will reserve at least 256MB, up to 768MB depending on graphics card installed memory"

That makes sense. At least I know all 4 gigs can be used by my system now, and the performance boost is awesome :)

P.S.. You were right.. hahaha

Back
Top Bottom