Constant hard drive activity, overall performance degradation

abx

Beta member
My computer started doing bizarre things lately. The hard drive light is constantly on and the drive is throttled almost always, as if it is loading something big. No programs are active, nothing is out of the usual, I have no sort of indexing going on. Nothing is going on as far as I can tell.

It's even worse when the system is under heavy load. If I play a game, the computer essentially becomes unresponsive, taking 15 minutes to load what used to take 3.

I assumed fragmentation at first, so I defragged the drive. No difference in performance. I then thought that perhaps my SATA cable had become damaged and was not working properly. Ran HD Tach, transfer speeds were normal.

I also have bizarre video issues all of a sudden, but only using Firefox 3, of all programs! Sometimes, tabs overlay - that is, if I click one tab, all the images and video will overlay onto the next tab, etc. The only way to stop this is to shrink the window.

These are bizarre problems I'm not sure about. Temperatures on my video card are normal, low even. My processor is also running low. I have the newest drivers for every component on my machine. I am up to date with windows updates. Hard drives temperatures are nominal. Memory consumption is normal. Page file size usage is normal. CPU is not throttled at all.

Software? Hardware? I'm at a loss here. I've never experienced anything quite like this. I am currently running an extended test for bad sectors on my main drive...will take several hours. Maybe that's it.

Edit: Specs: Q6600, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX 768, 1x320GB (main), 1x250GB, 1x500GB, 1x750GB

Dude, you have like 2TB of space...How much of that do you even use?
Anyways, go to Task Manager -> Performance and tell me how many Handles you're using.

Dude, you have like 2TB of space...How much of that do you even use?
Anyways, go to Task Manager -> Performance and tell me how many Handles you're using.

Up until yesterday, the 750GB had 4% free, the 500 3%. The 250 has about 20% free, it's only for music. I had to get them to 15% to defrag at a reasonable speed. Now they're not that full. All of 'em at least 15%.

11629 handles.

It also appears that the problem is the video card. Still investigating, but it seems to be the only device that isn't functioning properly.

weird, does it stay constant if you boot into safe mode?

EDIT: Another question, at 320GB I presume a WD drive? have you run WD diagnostics on it?

It's the video card. Going to RMA and get a new one. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom