Throwing an idea out there.

funny-pictures-cat-chess-pawnd.jpg

Yea i have to agree, I don't think I would enjoy the forum if that idea was put into place. There are just times when typing in im chat is faster for some people.

In my opinion, I hate posts that use short words, and think less of the people that do on forums.
Yes, on MSN, etc, fine, I use them, but on forums like this, I will not. Its unprofessional.

I do use They're and that though, because those are still common words. Stuff like LOL, IMO, etc, are not.

I'm fine with things such as "they're", "isn't", "hadn't", etc. I'm also fine with things such as "lol", "imo", "btw", "brb", etc. Those are just quick abbreviations for multiple words. What I hate is when people shorten 1 word. One example is "rly", "b4", "2", etc.

What about people from other countries who don't have a particularly good grasp of the English language? It would be very discouraging for them.

Then it should be encouragement to learn the English language. If you think of it in the right light, it's just a learning tool.

To an extent some Internet slang is pretty damn funny. I like LOL'ing, LUL WUTing, IMOing, sometimes I get on the internetz and I've also been known to take the occasional ride on the ROLFCOPTER.

But some of the more cryptic, less mainstream internet slang is rather pointless. I can see how the smartness system could be useful, but I could also foresee it creating a few problems which, in my opinion. Is one of the LAST things CF needs right now.

And I hate to keep beating on a dead horse, but I think if CF could change its persona, the way its perceived. Then the smartness system could work, Granted this isn't how I necessarily feel, but this is how I think some members feel based on various posts and pm's I've shared with other members.

At times CF can be seen as a strict, and sadly at times dull place where (at times) people are afraid to disagree with one another in threads for fear of the thread being closed. Also I feel that at times people who post a different opinion, or have a different idea on something are jumped upon by other members for simply having a different opinion (some people actually like president bush, some people may like or dislike john mccain/barack obama) big deal, people disagree. But I feel as though people are to close minded and to quick to condemn other peoples for having a different view. I think CF needs more tolerance.

If that all could be changed to where people see CF as a more laid back, fun loving place where people respect each others views and can just agree to disagree then I think that would make this a better place, a place someone could enjoy contributing to. I think if those problems could be fixed then people would be more likely to embrace a system like the smartness system and so forth.

Just my opinion though.

Personally I doubt the smartness system will work. It's just the personality of CF. We have too many young kids on here who just quickly reply with IM lingo and don't even bother properly checking their grammar or spelling just because it's a forum. One of the downsides of our generation I suppose...

no-rly.jpg

BTW, the correct term is leetspeak.

Also, most forum boards have smileys for terms like LOL, ROTFL, etc.

d47a0a68.jpg

Well from the forum that I've seen it been in use, it only gives you negative points if you misspell something. All it does is highlight in red and if you edit your post and correct the highlighted word it goes back to normal. It really isn't hard...it's especially good practice so that you actually use the dictionary. Something kids today don't particularly know how to use...

Back
Top Bottom