GPU temps?

Marshillboy

In Runtime
Well...my brand new HD4850 is a beast...but that kind of power doesn't come without its respective heat issues. I just popped in a few more case fans, and at the moment the card idles at 80 degrees celcius and at load it goes into high 80s. Are these temps to worry about for the time being/long run? I just dropped 30 bucks on new case fans, and I was wondering if, rather than getting a whole new fan/heatsink, maybe take the current one off and reapply with some arctic silver?

From what I've heard, not had personal experience with such high temps, graphics cards should be able to withstand 100C. IMO, 100C is pushing it. If you are willing to spend more money on a fan/heatsink, I would go for it. The lower the temperature the better. But for the current one, I don't think it would be problem assuming 100C is the limit. But like I said, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that, I'd want 75 tops.

My Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition usually runs 52C Idle, and 60ish C under load.

High 80s are really high. You might want to consider a better HSF for it, but if that is out of the question, then some better/bigger case fans should be ordered. I don't think re-applying AS5 will help that much, but it wouldn't hurt if you knew what you were doing with it.

How many vents and fans does your case have?

It is safe.

AMD were forced to sell this card earlier than they planned due to all the retailers listing them, therefore, Catalyst 8.6 is not quite complete. And the fan speed cannot be changed at this time (12%).

EDIT: There is in fact a hotfix available. Install Catalyst Control Center and see if you can change the fan speed.

I heard from a website, that they put some AC5 on that GPU and it lowered the temperature a large amount. I believe it was somewhere around a 10-30C drop in temperature.

Oh, wow, if that's the case, then by all means try some AS5. Just be really careful, I'd hate to see a 4850 blow up on ya since they are just plain awesome.

It is safe.

AMD were forced to sell this card earlier than they planned due to all the retailers listing them, therefore, Catalyst 8.6 is not quite complete. And the fan speed cannot be changed at this time (12%).

EDIT: There is in fact a hotfix available. Install Catalyst Control Center and see if you can change the fan speed.

I installed the hotfix. I don't exactly get what it was supposed to do, but it certainly didn't "fix" the "hot" of the card ;). Oh yeah, and there's no fan speed control that I can find in CCC, what gives?

I heard from a website, that they put some AC5 on that GPU and it lowered the temperature a large amount. I believe it was somewhere around a 10-30C drop in temperature.

Same here, I'm going to have to hit up my friend for his tube of AC5 :p

I installed the hotfix. I don't exactly get what it was supposed to do, but it certainly didn't "fix" the "hot" of the card .
You need to install Catalyst Control Center if you don't already have it: http://ati.amd.com/products/catalystcontrolcenter/index.html

Open it up and simply adjust the fan speed.

I also do not recommend using a conductive paste like AS5 on the bare GPU if this is your first time removing the cooler and reapplying paste to the GPU. If you have some ceramique paste lying around, then use that.

I also do not recommend using a conductive paste like AS5 on the bare GPU if this is your first time removing the cooler and reapplying paste to the GPU. If you have some ceramique paste lying around, then use that.

Is there a reason for that?

EDIT: I don't have any just lying around, but if you can explain the reason for using ceramique, then I might run to the local radio shack and buy some.

Is there a reason for that?
When you apply thermal paste to a CPU you are applying it to an IHS (unless you've removed it), with ATI GPUs, you are applying it directly to the core, with all the surrounding resistors, there is a chance some excess paste could cause a short circuit.

Back
Top Bottom