Cables: Ethernet vs. USB

Datalyss1

In Runtime
Which one's better for a DSL modem?

I'm thinking of using my Ethernet cable with my DSL modem instead of my USB cable. My real purpose for this is simply to free up a USB port on the back of my PC so I can plug in my joystick.

Use ethernet. We used to sell modems at my work for DSL that had both and there seemed to be so many problems for people when using USB. Ethernet is just the easier route to take (and faster if I'm correct).

ethernet is easier, and in a network setup it offeres 100/1000mb instead of 11mb from usb

I'll go with the consensus here and say ethernet. I just installed a network card in an old pc that was running a cable modem through usb. The people were having so many problems with it through usb, now since they are using it through ethernet, no problems.

Well, that was a futile move. My modem did recognize that the ethernet cable was plugged in, but it didn't connect.

BTW, my modem's USB cable has never really been a problem.

Now you probably need to reboot the modem. You removed the USB cable from the modem to your computer ... right? Only use the ethernet cable from modem to computer. Follow the steps required to reboot your DSL modem.

Yes as people have said earlier, cat5 ethernet cables were designed for networking... USB cables were designed to carry data universally (hince the U in USB)... In my opinion specific design is better that universal...

Back
Top Bottom