Hmmm,Should i put XP on my laptop?

Ok,My laptop has Vista home premium on it,i cant decide wether or not to put XP Pro on it,Here are the Pro's and cons that i could think of:

Why put XP on:

-Improved game performance (?)
-Faster system bootup and responsiveness
-Im familiar with the GUI
-All my software works on XP

Why keep vista:

-I dont have to spend a day installing,and backing up.
-It looks Peeeerdy
-Networking is a breeze!
-Seems to be more stable

Im stuck with this decision,are there any other reasons why i should put XP on it or keep vista?

P.s Specs are in sig,it's a toshiba a210.

only worrying thing is the 1gb ram. if you had 2gb or more id say stick with vista. the 1gb alone makes me vote for xp
edit: or is that 2 x 1gb :confused:

putting xp on that would be stupid.

windows vista can run a game the same as XP, just turn of all your crappy visual effects.

my vista loads up faster then my old xp, you just need to learn how to tweak your settings up, such as in the registry or changing the values in services and computer mangement

Vista has my vote. It's got a backup feature built into it's home version which XP lacks in it's home version.

edit: or is that 2 x 1gb :confused:
Nope,Just 1gb.I have a RAM usage meter on my sidebar,and most of the time i have 450mb RAM free.

my vista loads up faster then my old xp, you just need to learn how to tweak your settings up, such as in the registry or changing the values in services and computer mangement.
Yeah i have done all that,when i first got the laptop my average free ram was around 300mb,Now i normally get 450mb.As far as gaming is concerned,when i put XP on my computer,i got an extra 3-7 FPS in my games than in vista,although that was without SP1.

Edit; Also some of my older games refuse to run (e.g NFS:III) on vista :(.

oh ok. id go with xp then. 1gb ram is not quite enough to run vista as your main os. its not exactly bad, and even games work ok, i just wouldnt run it unless i have 2gb or more (bad experiences with 1gb, and general lag with a few programs open)

Here's the number one factor you need to consider if switching to XP. Driver support. You need to make sure that you can find all the needed drivers before switching over. Many of the newer lappys preloaded with Vista have no drivers available for XP.

Oh I see that "J" beat me to it. Dual boot is a great option. I would personally do that. You can keep most of the memory for Vista, as it would probably be the one you'd be using the most. Then you could use XP for those games that don't work on Vista. Also, you could just upgrade the RAM. It's not that expensive and it would be a great investment.

Back
Top Bottom