Throwing an idea out there.

I hear you Thelis. But the more you tighten your grip the more members will slip away. You have to balance control with tolerance. Not an easy task. You learn over time that continuously making it harder for members to express themselves in their own ways will simply drive them away.
I look at some of the posts here and granted, they might have been done differently but then it wouldn't be me or you or alvino or root just to name a few. Everyone has their own style. Yeah chat room or IM slang is not really what you want to see but your hand on their shoulder and a whisper in the ear will work far better than a stricter set of rules or an automaton.

Your sure this would work? Its not as if all those mistake's are immediately obvious and u nd 2 ch3ck 4 loadz of d1fferent variationz

Theirs no real way u cn sovle the problem rly

In theory it is a very nice idea but there are loads of practicalities about it that would make it difficult to omplement ,
and i mean really punishing people for spelling mistakes isnt very fair IMO as we all make mistakes every now and then and so i think it would be unfair to punish someone every time they made a little mistake ,
however about the text speak i do think that just makes the poster look stupid and most of the time if it isnt apparently obvious what is being said in the post i dont bother decoding it because if they are too stupid to form proper sentences then what they are saying cant be of much intelligence either

just use the firefox spell checker lol :)
it doesnt matter if we have a spell checker or not though. if people want to post in txt speak then they will regardless

I think, as with pretty much everyone else who's posted, that this would be a horrible idea. I wouldn't really mind a word filter for some of the less obvious words but things like LOL, ROFL etc. don't bother me. And for the contraction thing, that's a horrible idea too! People use contractions to speed up writing and could do it for a reason. It's also much simpler to write with contractions and "chat-speak"

Although on another forum, the mods have a "bad-word" filter setup and in that they have pretty much every kind of lol you could think of. The mods there really don't want people to tak in "chat-speak"

Your sure this would work? Its not as if all those mistake's are immediately obvious and u nd 2 ch3ck 4 loadz of d1fferent variationz

Theirs no real way u cn sovle the problem rly

ya rly...

no-rly.jpg

BTW, the correct term is leetspeak.

Also, most forum boards have smileys for terms like LOL, ROTFL, etc.

Back
Top Bottom