help with hdd and optical drives

Check in the bois to see if you ahve the boot order correct , make sure it isnt checking for a FDD for boot or something silly like that

well that's not the main problem, i could get it to boot sometimes, the main problem is that the drives won't recognize cds and dvds, because i am trying to reinstall windows, it's my mom's computer... so i need to get them setup hardware wise, then worry about making sure they can read or not read the media...

Atomic Rooster said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
e.g. a drive set to CS on the "middle" plug on an IDE cable will be Master and the drive on the end set to CS will be the slave
You have that backwards. The middle connector on an IDE cable is the slave position and the end connector is the master position.

and yeah, that is right

Ok. Will the computer now boot to the hard drive?

Hmm. . . Maybe a bad CDRW? Try switching them. DVD as master and CDRW as slave. Don't forget to switch the connectors on the IDE cable too. :D

Cool. We got it booting. have a look at the edit of my previous post.

(The posts are coming fast and furious in this thread!)

haha i saw it :]

i know, let me take a second to thank all of you for your help, this is why this is still one of my favorite computer forums... you guys really really help...

ok one second i will change them up.

morning caffiene and cigarette? lol... did you miss breakfast? :]
Something like that, haven't had a breakfast like that since I quit smoking in July 07, but yes, just crawled out of bed (it was 6.15am) and no coffee, I was checking the forum while the jug boiled

:D

ok here is new setup and results:

hdd on "hdd1 ide primary"
then dvdrom as master jumper on "master" part of ide on "hdd2 ide secondary"
then cd rw as slave jumper on "slave" part of ide on "hdd2 ide secondary"

it boots to hdd fine...

in bios, it shows maxtor hdd as primary master, it shows cdrw as secondary slave.

it doesnt show up the dvd, it has some settings under primary slave still, but none under secondary master still

here are the options it shows under primary slave:
"multi-sector transfers"
"lba mode control"
"32 bit i/o"
"transfer mode"
"ultra dma mode"

seeing those options make me think it recognizes hardware, it just odesnt know what it is or osomething? the type for it is set as "auto" fyi

Something like that, haven't had a breakfast like that since I quit smoking in July 07, but yes, just crawled out of bed (it was 6.15am) and no coffee, I was checking the forum while the jug boiled

:D

that makes sense then :]

If you switch drives positions on the secondary ide channel is the DVD still not there? (thinking bad cable/plug) Can you try a different IDE cable?

Now that's just weird. It only shows the DVD as secondary master in the first setup, and now only shows the CDRW as secondary slave in the second setup.

Do you have another IDE cable you can try. Are all the power plugs connected to the disc drives?

If you switch drives positions on the secondary ide channel is the DVD still not there? (thinking bad cable/plug) Can you try a different IDE cable?

thats what i am thinking.... cause earlier it recognized the dvd... let me try this other ide cable...

but if i get tha tpart fixed, i still have to make sure it boots from my xp dvd :[

Back
Top Bottom