Faster... ?

dual core will work for a short term fix but in a couple of years you may need a quad. we will all probably have to upgrade more because technology is advancing so fast these days :D

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Regardless, I was thinking of a cheaper alternative. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I was wondering whether I should get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000. Dear me, I sound like a retard thinking of going with AMD, BUT this seems to look decent, and from the reviews from newegg, they seem to think its fine for gaming. I just need to clarify this with you. Its SOO much cheaper as well. (well $70 less, but still..) If you could comment about this, and/or recommend another AMD processor, that would be great.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I was wondering whether I should get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000. Dear me, I sound like a retard thinking of going with AMD, BUT this seems to look decent, and from the reviews from newegg, they seem to think its fine for gaming.
Not at all, when Athlon 64 was first released, AMD were praised by enthusiasts, the Opteron 165 1.8GHz was coming out head and shoulders above competing Intel parts of much higher clock speed.
If you want to spend less, then you can't do better than the 5000+ X2 Black Edition. BE means unlocked multiplier which makes for great OC'ing potential, you could easily hit 3.2 with this at a fraction of the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194
I'd recommend you go with an AM2+ socket for example the 780G so that you have an upgrade path to Phenom later.

Alright, I'm just going to list the parts I'll be using. Tell me what you think about the combinations of these parts.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Case: Thermaltake SopranoRS
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+
CD-drive: Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM
GPU: GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit

Back
Top Bottom