Faster... ?

rpatel

Solid State Member
I'm in the process of building a new computer, specifically designed for gaming. Now, I need a processor that is between $100 - $200. I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff, but I was going for the Intel Quad Q6600, which is just $199. Now to be honest I want something a little more cheaper, and I was wondering whether you could give me some advice.

Thanks for the help

for GAMING get an E6850 or something, or E8400 or w/e the best dual core for under $200 is
the point is, get a dual core, not a quad, for gaming.

yeap I will be overclocking.
Great then, I was just waiting for that. If you are, then you'll want the higher binned Xeon copy of the E8400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117165&Tpk=E3110
It has a tight VID range which means you have a better chance of getting a good chip.

I don't know if you've read about the 45nms, but there are good ones and there are bad ones. It hurts when you get a dud chip. I see people with the best Wolfdales getting 4GHz with 1.25V, yet mine needs around 1.45V, and that was the best of the two I've been through. And remember, 1.4V MAX on these, anymore and they will degrade fast.

Fingers crossed you get a good one mate.

Gaming processor would be the E8400, for your budget. The E8500 is...meh, too expensive. Just OC yours.

I can't really tell how good it OCs, since I got either a crappy board, or I have a bad RAM combo (4GB DDRII-667).

Gaming processor would be the E8400, for your budget. The E8500 is...meh, too expensive. Just OC yours.

I can't really tell how good it OCs, since I got either a crappy board, or I have a bad RAM combo (4GB DDRII-667).
The 667MHz RAM will kill you. You should have at LEAST 800MHz in that thing. I mean, your FSB is already at 334 stock, so for DDR it's 668MHz.

But anyway, the E8400 is an awesome overclocker. It's been reported to go well over 4GHz on air.

If you already have a good 800MHz kit then you'll be fine. 445x9 is required for 4GHz so that's 890 DDR. Most 800MHz kits canm do that.
But anyway, the E8400 is an awesome overclocker. It's been reported to go well over 4GHz on air.
It depends, the first few batches were awesome, hitting 4GHz with as little as 1.25V, but some of the later batches have been topping out at 3.6-3.8 because of the voltage cap.

The 667MHz RAM will kill you. You should have at LEAST 800MHz in that thing. I mean, your FSB is already at 334 stock, so for DDR it's 668MHz.

I got DDRIII-2000 coming on the way, so I'll floor the CPU, beyond you could imagine. It's 28.7C idle as we speak...sooo....

You do know DDR3 offers no peformance increase on an Intel platform which utilizes an FSB?

And remember, 1.4V MAX.

Back
Top Bottom