i can't connect to the internet. please help

keyb92

Beta member
i just created this account just to make this. thats how desperate i am. i didnt have any luck at yahoo answers. ok so i am currently using my sisters computer for internet because i cannot find out how to configure the computer in my room to get online. the service provider we use is peoplepc (dial-up) and when i plug any phone jack from my computer into ANY phone jack port in the wall, the house phone doesnt get a dial tone, and my computer cant connect to the internet. i dont know what settings or whatever i need to put it on. im only using one line at a time, and yes, as soon as i plug in my phone jack the telephone ceases to operate. oh and for everyone whos going to tell me to get high-speed, i cant. i live in the middle of nowhere and their service doesnt reach our area. i just went and re-installed peoplepc and that did nothingm so then i grabbed an old external modem and tried to install it, but it wasnt windows signed so aparently i cant use that. i went to test my modem and nothing showed up except the external modem but it isnt connected. and by the way im using a windows xp. thanks alot for any help.

The first thing to do is to check the modem and wires. Do any of the pins look crossed on the modem? This can easily happen and cause problems. Is their a problem such as a short in the wire?

I heard talk that Direct TV internet, DIrectway or something is avail nationwide :D

PLop that satellite on ur roof good2GO

it is possible for us to get high speed but the only companies that supply it arelike 100 bucks a month and were too poor for that. and i dont think theres any crossings or shorts in any plugs or wires. i cant find any solutions

are you sure your computer has a modem...? if it's newer, I doubt that it does, maybe you're plugging the phone cord from the wall into an ethernet port on your computer...? believe it or not, I've seen people try to do this...

no its a pretty old crappish computer i dont htink it would have a built in ethernet port.

bump?

Back
Top Bottom