Can't play Call of Duty black screen

pocolocomoco

Solid State Member
Whenever I try to play a game, All i see is a black screen. The game must be running fine because I can hear the background music and clicks of my mouse going of menu buttons. So I looked at my video options using dxdiag function and when I tested Direct3D although it rotated inhumanely fast, the first cube was fine, but the next 2 were blotched and you couldn't see the direct X icon. I have NVIDIA GeForce4 MX video card with directx 9.0b. I have looked everywhere but the solutions that people gave to others with a slightly similar problem did not fix my case. Can anyone help me? I am stumped!:confused:

Call of Duty 1. Any game that I have tried that has any 3D aspect (Gunz, COD 1, and Counter Strike have not worked.

here are the Call of Duty Requirements
Call of Duty Minimum System Requirements

* 3D hardware accelerator card required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 32MB hardware T&L-capable video card and latest drivers*
* English version of Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
* Pentium III 600MHz or Athlon 600MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 98/ME
* Pentium III 700MHz or Athlon 700MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 2000/XP
* 128MB RAM
* 8x speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
* 1.4GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows 98/ME swap file, 600MB for Windows 2000/XP swap file)
* 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
* 100% Windows 98/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
* DirectX 9.0b (included)

alrighty...
well first off I have a T3090 emachines desktop (i know yuck).
My memory is 704mb Ram
Driver:nv4_disp.dll
I have plenty of space on the comp left.
I don't know of anything else that could and might affect the visual aspect only of a pc game.

Just in case, here is what happened when I troubleshooted direct 3D:
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

go into device manager, display adapter, double click your mx, driver tab, what does it say there?

Alternatively you could just install the latest driver for your card from nvidia which is the 93.71 which (assuming you're running XP) can be d/loaded from this LINK

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date 10/22/2006
Driver version:6.14.10.9371
Digital Signer:Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ

Oops sorry for replying again, but I have downloaded the driver from the site. Maybe too many times and it caused some duplicating errors. Could that be a possibility?

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date 10/22/2006
Driver version:6.14.10.9371
Digital Signer:Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ

Oops sorry for replying again, but I have downloaded the driver from the site. Maybe too many times and it caused some duplicating errors. Could that be a possibility?
That's 93.71 on there now, have you already installed the driver?

You didn't mention it was integrated (as in onboard video), how many MB is it?

Integrated video is usually hopeless for gaming, it looks like yours may not be up to the task.

Call of Duty 1. Any game that I have tried that has any 3D aspect (Gunz, COD 1, and Counter Strike have not worked.

here are the Call of Duty Requirements
Call of Duty Minimum System Requirements

* 3D hardware accelerator card required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 32MB hardware T&L-capable video card and latest drivers*
* English version of Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
* Pentium III 600MHz or Athlon 600MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 98/ME
* Pentium III 700MHz or Athlon 700MHz processor or higher for systems with Windows 2000/XP
* 128MB RAM
* 8x speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
* 1.4GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows 98/ME swap file, 600MB for Windows 2000/XP swap file)
* 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
* 100% Windows 98/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
* DirectX 9.0b (included)

im looking at my COD 1 box right no... it says it requires DX9.0 c not b. i would try downloading the newest version of DX 9.0c from microsoft and see if that doesnt fix it. if your graphics card does not support it you need to break down and buy a new one.

That's 93.71 on there now, have you already installed the driver?

You didn't mention it was integrated (as in onboard video), how many MB is it?

Integrated video is usually hopeless for gaming, it looks like yours may not be up to the task.
Yesterday 10:32 PM

Aw shucks. Well I was able to play on this driver at one point on this computer. I am going to try a computer restore and see what happens

im looking at my COD 1 box right no... it says it requires DX9.0 c not b. i would try downloading the newest version of DX 9.0c from microsoft and see if that doesnt fix it. if your graphics card does not support it you need to break down and buy a new one.
well i will try downloading directx9.0c first. Thanks for helping me out this past day.

Back
Top Bottom