what would cause...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
a computer to boot up slowly before it gets to the XP splash screen...? once it gets to the XP splash screen it boots up normally and runs fine, it's just slow during initial boot up and seems to sit at the "press F2 for setup or F11 for boot menu" stage for longer than it should, it has the latest bios update installed (Asrock 775Dual Vsta)...

it's an old mobo, but so is my ASUS P5NSLi and the ASUS boots up much faster, there is no quick boot option in the bios, could that be it...?

It's loading devices, sata, raid, looking for disks etc.

Try looking in the bios for stuff you can safely turn off, e.g. if you're not running raid disable the raid controller, no floppy? disable it in the bios and boot order, set the seek time for HDD's to lower if possible, (I set my SATA from 35 seconds to 10 seconds) and stuff like that.

See how you go.

It's loading devices, sata, raid, looking for disks etc.

Try looking in the bios for stuff you can safely turn off, e.g. if you're not running raid disable the raid controller, no floppy? disable it in the bios and boot order, set the seek time for HDD's to lower if possible, (I set my SATA from 35 seconds to 10 seconds) and stuff like that.

See how you go.

I'll try some of these, I already disabled the floppy in my bios...

how many hardrives do you have in the comp ?

when i was recovering data from a friends corrupt hardrive i added that drive as a slave in my computer and booted and it took 5 mins before i got to the XP Loading screen

Ok.

The only time I had this experience is with a bad Overclock, duff Hard Drive or incorrect Memory Timings/Speed.

Check these out first.

found the solution...

I was using both IDE motherboard connections and had a hdd set as master on one and a DVD Rom set as the master on the other, I took out the DVD Rom and set it to slave and put it on the same cable as my hdd that was set to master, I unplugged the other IDE cable...

I screwed up and also changed the video in the bios to AGP instead of PCI (which is what it was set as for the default) and the memory to 667MHZ from 533MHZ, both changes were to the correct settings but I usually like to only make one change at a time so I can be certain what "fixed" the problem, but now I don't know what fixed it, but my computer skipped the screen that it was practically frozen on and took about one second to jump to the XP splash screen...

sooooo, anyone have any guesses as to which of these three changes fixed my problem...?

Back
Top Bottom