Throwing an idea out there.

I'm for just a nice instance in the filter of something like ne1, and stupid stuff like that so that it would cut down on the crap, and automatically change ne1 to anyone, so that people have to want to fix their problem, but thew community will have better appearance.

edit- and not the smartness, it would just clutter up the forum.

As much as I hate the people who use IM speak, there are times where it does come in handy. Heck, anywhere you go, you'll see IMO or LOL just because they are quick easy things to get the point across. But constant things like "dude i ha8 pple who hax 4 fun 'cuz it b kewl" get to me. Someone mentioned it outside this thread, but does adding the extra few letters really take up that much time?

I cannot see the smartness scale being popular here. Only a few members really abuse the IM speak, forcing the rest of the forum to live with it wouldn't go down too well.

I know Thelis cannot enjoy this pleasure, but at the very least all non-mods can simply ignore posts in IM speak. If you don't want to decipher it, don't. It's their problem that they cannot communicate properly.

As I read through the suggestion threads, and through some of the threads in the social lounge, I sense a common feeling about the forum- there is an unnecessary degree of "IM" lingo.

I feel that the forum would look much more mature if some of that jargon was replaced with proper speech. Now, I personally don't mind the internet talk, but I can see how it might be a problem.

So here is what I propose. The post count is replaced by a system called smartness. With each post a person makes, their smartness is increased by 1. Just like postcount. However, for each OBVIOUS mistake that they make, as well as for each stupid acronym, a cerain amount of smartness is detracted. For example, if a person says "they're", 26 smarteness points are detracted. If they make more than one error, more smartness is detracted. If they edit their post, and correct the mistakes (which would be underlined in red), that smartness would go back to them.

This word filter idea can also Intaban a person for using a certain word or phrase. The instaban would be for a certain amount of time... depeding on the word or phrase. The mods will go over the instabans and decide if it was just or not.

This smartess system is a well known hack for vB, and is implemented on a lot of vB forums to a great result.

If you guys want more details, just ask.

o here goes another great debate with thelis lol

n e ways you talk about sland and IM talk makin the forum look messy but what about these underlined red lines everywhere ?

and also define IM talk ?

FTW
PWNED
OWNED
LOL

are those included ?

FTW
PWNED
OWNED
LOL

are those included ?

FTW and LOL would be like IMO to me, and be considered normal. "OWNED" is a real word thus not IM speak, and PWNED gets owned by OWNED :D (aka it's IM speak)

Well, some of them are already in the vernacular, so no reason to define them as IM talk. All of the ones you listed, with the possible exception of Pwned, are perfectly fine.

"dude i ha8 pple who hax 4 fun 'cuz it b kewl"

i dnt think n e 1 of this forum abuses it that much, id say im 1 of the worse at IM or slang but i still protest that my posts are not hard to read, what you posted is fairly hard

ok and its actually

"dude i h8 ppl who hax 4 fun coz it b kl"
kewl - is sam mount of letters pointless
cuz - makes no sense coz its pronounced coz
hax - isnt something id use
h8 - isnt used very often but is still fairly easy to read
ppl - is say wat you see
4 - self explanatory,

my point is its all so simple to read and doesnt look messy custom sigs wud look messy. underlining everywhere wud look messy

As much as I hate the people who use IM speak, there are times where it does come in handy. Heck, anywhere you go, you'll see IMO or LOL just because they are quick easy things to get the point across.

The main times it annoys me is thread titles. Nothing worse than going into the social lounge and seeing a thread called OMG ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG LOLLERBOT ROFCOPTER WOOOOOOT THIZ PWNZZZZ

cant see how we could implement that into VB for a start.
wouldnt matter anyway, i personally think its a bad idea. people make small mistakes all the time and often dont realise, and some people can talk in slang but can be the smartest people on here. it would simply be a competition of who can be smarter.

Back
Top Bottom