Copmuter very slow...HELP PLEASE

mx344

Solid State Member
hi im new here,(i hope that i put this in the right section.)but i would like to aska few questions...
i have a levono T60 core 2005 model...it has winxp pro sp2 on it...

and it is normally soo fast and quick at the boot up but about 2 months ago when i had to take it in and swipe all the stuff off of it(to its original state)it never booted up as fast anymore...I usually booted up in 1 min. TOPS...but now 2.5+ minutes...i have a vid. to better describe that I'm talking about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOz7KZAKdYY
(The main part i would like you to watch is between :58-2:00 BIG PROBLEM!)
Its like its frozen for like 1 hole minute which really ticks me off considering this ain't no cheap computer...
Frankly i have no idea why it would act like this...I know a few things about computers but this is just out of my knowledge :D so any help would be helping me a ton!!!

Alright, my guess is you have alot of stuff going on at once, and alot of stuff. People might disagree with me.. but ok :D

Let's start off here. Right click on My Computer and click properties and tell us the specs. processor speed and ram.

close that now OPEN my computer and you see the C: drive, right click that and tell us the total disk space and how much is in use.

Close that.

Click Start>Run and type in

msconfig

and press enter.

go to Start Up. If you have alot of boxes checked there, that is a contribution. Uncheck things like google tool bar and adobe updater things like that. You can even uncheck msn messenger and start that up yourself. When you use these programs they will start, but it will make your computer start faster.

Download a virus can (I have AVG free 8.0) and a spyware scan.. maybe spybot and run those.

Take the CD out of the drive if you want it to start up faster as well :p You have it trying to do some things and on top of that read a CD.

I told you to see how much hdd space was taken because you may be low on that. But seeing that it's a vista laptop I doubt that, it probably canme with a 250 or a 160gb hdd.

Edit*

I have XP so I don't know my way around it much.. I have been on them, of course :p
I'm going to get another hdd soon, maybe a 160gb and get vista on it and dual boot between vista and XP. I would have been able to help you alot more :D

that could be the problem for most pc's but i dont believe thats wrong with my computer...i virus and spyware scan it every 5 days,i use windows washer 6.5 to delete all of my actions that i did for that period i was on the computer...i have done all those little msconfig things but it doesn't resolve my problem...
btw: i have a "60" gig hard drive,really only 55 but it comes with preloaded software that i bought it with,and it still has 25gigs left of memory...i don't use lots of memory,because i know that it will slow my computer down over time...so anyone else,Thx for the help though...

i dont want to sound like a dick or anything.. but you may think that these things dont solve your problem... but atleast give them a try. part of fixing problems is trying a bunch of different solutions. download CCleaner run both of its scans. you have windows xp right? try getting rid of that vista theme. delete some of your unneeded programs. it looks like you have a crapload of programs for just a 60GB hard drive. Did you try defragging your hard drive? just try new things man. also check on youtube videos for making your comp faster. good luck

Specs homie, we need specs to kno what kinda performance is expected.

OH and taylor is right do it anyways cuz thats a good start right there

ok,all i can tell you is that i have tried most of the ways to make your computer faster and such(all the ways that you guys have said,not like i havent tried them many times before..),but i really think its deeper than that.my reasoning for believing this is that when i first got my computer,i download a butt-load(55.2/55.8gigs filled) of crap that was not need on my computer...and it still ran faster than this...I just think that its deeper than this...i mean taking a good 2:30+ seconds to load xp on a computer that has dual core(1.83ghz) and 2 gigs of ram is just pathetic..i mean, i have a desktop that is an old amd 4200+(2.4ghz) and it goes faster than this(running the same xp), and it has 100=160gigs filled on the hard drive?im i missing anything?im srry, i just thought that i would hear something that i haven even thought of before,because so far its this simple stuff like deleting stuff off you hard drive...sorry if i come off rude or anything,I'll say again,when I took it back to the computer repair center,they had to swipe EVERYTHING off of my hard drive(to its original state)and thats when it started to have those long boots,so i KNOW that it isn't the hard drive thing,because if it take 2.5+ minutes to load with only the original stuff,thats a problem,and it hasn't decreased or inflated any over the time i put stuff on my hard drive...thx for the help...

Why don't you reformat it again? This time do it yourself. Also...completely clean off the HDD. Don't just reformat the partition. I mean completely delete everything! Then reformat. Put only the necessary stuff in. Then if there's still a problem it is most likely hardware.

Oo...that minds me...is it possible that you have a bad stick of RAM?

here are my specs...
T5600(1.83GHz)
60 gig hard drive
128MB ATI Mobility RADEON X1400
Intel 802.11abg wireless
Ultrabay DVD, CDRW/DVD, or CDRW/DVDR Multi-Burner drives
Windows XP PRO
2GIGs of ram (originally 512mb)

k do u know how to do this stuff urself. cuz if u do then 1.ur paying money for stuff u already kno 2. their not always trustworthy. what i would do is rewipe ur HD the right way. and i bet u that u'll have ur performance back

yeah u might wanna run Memtest just to make sure

Sorry this is off-topic but: zKiLLA! How's it going man? I added you on PSN, but I always forget to msg when you're on lol...

now back on topic: Don't reformat quite yet...there might be a solution.

Back
Top Bottom