Throwing an idea out there.

Thelis

Golden Master
As I read through the suggestion threads, and through some of the threads in the social lounge, I sense a common feeling about the forum- there is an unnecessary degree of "IM" lingo.

I feel that the forum would look much more mature if some of that jargon was replaced with proper speech. Now, I personally don't mind the internet talk, but I can see how it might be a problem.

So here is what I propose. The post count is replaced by a system called smartness. With each post a person makes, their smartness is increased by 1. Just like postcount. However, for each OBVIOUS mistake that they make, as well as for each stupid acronym, a cerain amount of smartness is detracted. For example, if a person says "they're", 26 smarteness points are detracted. If they make more than one error, more smartness is detracted. If they edit their post, and correct the mistakes (which would be underlined in red), that smartness would go back to them.

This word filter idea can also Intaban a person for using a certain word or phrase. The instaban would be for a certain amount of time... depeding on the word or phrase. The mods will go over the instabans and decide if it was just or not.

This smartess system is a well known hack for vB, and is implemented on a lot of vB forums to a great result.

If you guys want more details, just ask.

It's a good idea, but general contractions such as "they're" or "it's" might be taking it a little too far. It's mostly when people overuse lol, jk, lmao, wtf, etc.

Basically just IM acronyms, not contractions.

Besides that, I'm all for it. I hate how sloppy some posts are.

Oh hell no IMO. This place can already be over the top with rules and strictness on occasions but now you want spelling police with the view to a possible ban for wrong spelling, punctuation and grammar?. LoL no thank you.

What is wrong with just having mods use a bit of common sense if someone is going over the top with their abbreviations and stuff to give them a quick pm and ask them to try and minimize it. If I was a new member looking to join or just joined and saw that spelling mod I would be out of here.

I go to work all day where you have to do what you are told to do where if you do it wrong you get in trouble. People on here go to school where they have to do the same. I come on here for a bit of relaxation and stress relief or whatever and I am not looking to get punished because i forget an apostrophe or a full stop. Everywhere we go these days we are told what we can and can't do ...new ridiculous laws made everyday. I don't need that on a forum.

ive been questioned about my spellings and grammar a few times the only reason ive made mistakes is by typing fast that's all
if we have the spelling or grammar police checking our post's for inacuracies it's gonna make some people pretty peeved.
so sorry thelis but it's a hell no from me.

What about people from other countries who don't have a particularly good grasp of the English language? It would be very discouraging for them.

Oh hell no IMO. This place can already be over the top with rules and strictness on occasions but now you want spelling police with the view to a possible ban for wrong spelling, punctuation and grammar?. LoL no thank you.

Oh no, the instabans would only be used in the case of racist term and certain memes.

Back
Top Bottom