Watercooling?

aowen416

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I'm building a new computer soon, and I plan to overclock quite a bit. However, I really really don't want the noise. I've watercooled before, and it didn't go very well...at all. The reservoir cracked after a year, it leaked everywhere, and offered poor performance for watercooling...and was LOUD (exactly what I was trying to avoid!)...so I threw it out and bought a Zalman. CPU temperatures decreased by 5 C, and was extremely quiet. So now, I'm looking for the Zalman of watercooling (even though they make watercooling units :p)

I'm going to be building my PC in the states, but will bring it back to Europe 2 months later, so this thing needs to be mobile, and needs to be able to be shaken around quite a bit. So I need the system to be completely internal. I've read quite a few guides, but they don't seem to offer that much information...I know that going with a kit is generally a bad idea, and that each component should be purchased separately. However, I need a cheap system...I don't have $300+ to spend on WC.

I was looking at the Cooler Master S1. It's only $70, requires no filling/bleeding, and very little set up. http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=1&id=2539

However, I'm doubting the cooling ability of it, after seeing some benchmarks, and apparently it's quite loud...and I want GPU cooling as well.

So, this is basically what I'm asking: Is watercooling really worth it, if I just want it for the noise reduction (if I'm overclocking on air, all my fans will have to be on high, and I'll need quite a few) will it be effective, and yeah...

Also, I'm opting for a T-junction type system. No reservoir.

Sorry for my plethora of questions lately, but I'm just curious :D

you can try contacting major brands like HP, dell or anyone else on how they secure their watercooling products. talk to a technician and they should be able to help.

If you want a real liquid cooling setup, you are most likely gonna have to piece together a kit yourself, or buy a really nice kit. Either way, doing watercooling right isn't cheap. If it's gonna cost under $150, just get yourself a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

If you want a real liquid cooling setup, you are most likely gonna have to piece together a kit yourself, or buy a really nice kit. Either way, doing watercooling right isn't cheap. If it's gonna cost under $150, just get yourself a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
Yeah. A good CPU HSF costs something like $50, plus a GPU cooler for like $30.

You won't see real results compared to a good air cooler from watercooling unless you do it the right way, which will be expensive, so your best bet is to do air cooling. If you want to do watercooling still though check out kits by Swiftech(H20-220 compact system would be good, but like I said won't offer much performance gains over a good air cooler).

Yeah, I think watercooling will be a bit overkill, and too expensive. I'm just going to get high quality CPU + GPU heatsinks and hope for the best :)

Back
Top Bottom