Strange Issue with new hardrive....

Ok,I Just got a Western digital 160gb SATA hardrive.Im Formatting it using Gparted,and it will format in Fat32 no problems,but if i try in NTFS I get IO Errors? I have tried in 2 different computers with the same results.

Any ideas?

Have you tried partitioning in the Windows Computer Management?

This is where I partition and format any HD I get.

Also do you need to 'turn on' the SATA channel that you connect the drive to in the BIOS?

I Double Checked all the BIOS Settings,And im not running vista so i dont have that partitioning tool.I Tried formatting it in my computer by using the right click tool,but that still failed to format in NTFS.

Ok,I Just got a Western digital 160gb SATA hardrive.Im Formatting it using Gparted,and it will format in Fat32 no problems,but if i try in NTFS I get IO Errors? I have tried in 2 different computers with the same results.

Any ideas?

i just got being they key words, is it new or 2nd hand ? if its new RMA looks like a faulty hd to me, i know thats a generalisation but if its not formatting in 2 diff ways seems dodgy to me,

have you tried with a win XP disk so that the drive is completely offline while doing it ?

or try acronis disk creator that is the BEST ever program i have used for formatting partition etc, its not free but its easy enough to "find"

Lol,Yeah I might 'find' it and give it a shot.It's a second hand drive,but only a month old so it *Should* Still have a manufacturers warranty on it.Im using a Gparted Live Disc,So the drive it definately offline.

Lol,Yeah I might 'find' it and give it a shot.It's a second hand drive,but only a month old so it *Should* Still have a manufacturers warranty on it.Im using a Gparted Live Disc,So the drive it definately offline.

hmmm still give acronis a try and if that dont do it download the manafactures diagnostic / testing tool

Back
Top Bottom