New toys on the way

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Well, yesterday I ordered my new toys, aka a 4 GB RAM kit, new PSU and a HD3870.

I didn't get the packages today like I was hoping, but they should be here tomorrow if all goes well. For some reason, Newegg lists my packages as "step 5" or out for shipping, but they haven't sent me my tracking number yet.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, here is what I ordered:

Corsair PSU -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 -- 650 Watts, 52A on a single rail (awesomeness) should be enough to power my rig

PQi Turbo DDR2-533 4 GB RAM kit -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141241

and my much anticipated part, the one I can't wait to get my hands on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103057 -- Diamond Viper ATi HD3870 with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM

I know a few of you are going to ask why didn't I wait for the 4XXX series, well, I was on a budget to start with... Plus, Diamond does have a trade-in program, and I will look into that if the 4XXX series is as good as people are saying it will be. I do think this card will be able to support my gaming habit for quite some time, it might even be overkill for the games I play at the moment. I wonder how well it handles FSX?

Anyway, this stuff should be here tomorrow, at least I am hoping anyway. If so, I have a few sleepless nights coming up :D

Oh, yeah, I also got an anti-static wrist strap on the way too, probably not necessary, but it gives me piece of mind while working.

I'll post pics and do some benches when the parts come in.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you haven't gotten an e-mail that says your order has shipped with a tracking number, then I don't think your parts have shipped yet. I know how your feeling tough, waiting for parts to come is an exciting nerve racking couple of days lol, just think of how excited you'll be when you hear the UPS truck coming down your street :D

Yeah, I get that feeling every time I order something. I hear a big truck go down the street, and I go running for the door... Of course, it usually isn't the truck, but when it is... PARTY TIME!!! Except I hate signing that portable computer thing, you have to press on it really hard with the pen and even then it might not work....

I just can't wait until I get that HD3870.. That is the most I have ever spent on a single part.

EDIT-- Got in touch with a sales rep, and he gave me my tracking ID.. It is in transit to Charleston, WV from Memphis, TN, which is 12 to 16, maybe even 20 hours in a large truck (lot of mountains, traffic, bad weather, etc...) Might have shipped it by plane, but that is asking too much.

Chomping at the bit huh mate? :D

I love getting new hardware, the wait is excruciating though.

I'll be interested to see how you find the 3870 in FSX.

aren't those more like upgrades to a toy you already have?

yes. I am that guy.

^^ Yeah, pretty much, but upgrades make the toy better!!!!

Oh, A True Folder, right now with my X1650, I manage 20 to 30 FPS at 1440x900, bi-linear filtering, high to dense level of scenery, medium-low terrain detail, and medium-low aircraft detail. I am pretty excited just for FSX alone, but all of my games will be great after this upgrade :)

Looks like I will be getting the beast tomorrow. Yeah, I'll have to get 3dmark program and run some benches. All I know is my PC will pwn when I get my new parts.

Back
Top Bottom