Can't get old 640 x 480 monitor or work

gmcjetpilot

Baseband Member
I just got a second computer to do duty as an internet phone server and some other slave duty. Its running XP.

I want to get an old monitor I have to work for maintence and occasional use.

The min video/graphic setting with the current driver is 800x600.

Monitor
Manufacturer: LEADING TECHNOLOGY
Model: IMTEC 1430V
Also Known As: IMTEC 1430 V
Monitor Type: Fixed Frequency
VGA frequency compatible: No
VGA sync compatible: Unknown
Max Resolution: 640 x 480
H Freq/ V Freq: 31.5 Khz / 60-70 Hz
Sync Type: Unknown
Connector: HD-15

Any ideas. My other computer has a 640 x 480 selection but I really want to keep my nice monitor on that.

Thanks George

It's just not going to work if you can't set your current graphics settings lower than 800 x 600. It's just out of the old monitors range.

You could try uninstalling the graphics drivers and running in the standard VGA mode. Things wont look nice, but it may work.

I was afraid of that. Yea I guess I could screw with drivers and BIOS I guess but I guess I might need to drop some coin on little LCD.

The work around is to connect it to my cool new LCD TV which does have a VGA D-Sub 15 pin input.

The TV also has others HDMI, Component, Composite. Since I might want to turn the computer into a DVR getting a better graphics card might be the way to go.

Even though the VGI will work with the TV, its now a matter of the computer being the OLD technology and the monitor being state of the art. The current graphics is an on mother board intel basic 32mb deal.

I guess I need to get a new graphics card that has a DVI or HDMI output for high quality video.

Can you recommend a good cheap card (used) and the best way to connect the computer to TV. Since I have any choice I guess HDMI/DVI is best. I'll no doubt need to drop some coin on over priced cables. I do know DVI and HDMI are compatible with a cable.

Thanks for your help

Well it's worth noting that XP typically doesn't let you use 640x480.. at least not for the desktop.

Back
Top Bottom