Connecting two routers?

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
Here's my situation:

I'm visiting family for the summer and I want to use their internet connection. They don't care about me using it but they are protective over their WPA key for some reason and don't want me to know it. I'm welcome to plug myself into their router, though. :rolleyes:

However... I have a laptop and I hate being constrained by wires. I have my own wireless router. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to plug my wireless router into one of the four ethernet ports on their router and then plug the other end of the cord into the internet port on MY router and use my own router and its own security and everything wirelessly... or does that not work?

I should have said distant, distant, distant family. Family that's just a little overprotective with their things. He wouldn't even tell his brother the key when he stayed there for 2 weeks.

disable the ip assigning feature.... I did this to our wireless router to connect it to the modem... its called... ummm.... DHCP. after that its all a matter of connecting a computer port to a computer port. you cannot connect the internet port from yours to theirs, it must be a computer port. that is all there is to it.

heres a rough idea,

goto their router and find out the default gateway on it,

plug in your router turn off DHCP and manually configure it so that the static ip of it is the default gateway ??

jus a theory that should work, because im not sure if the router is inteligant enough to pick up an ip address off an ethernet cable instead of a DSL cable

how about asking him if he would be ok with just changing the wpa key during your visit to one that either you, or he and you, make up. then when you leave, he can change it back to his super secret key.

Back
Top Bottom