Graphical problem - please help

Gems

Beta member
Hello guys, I recently bought a computer tower (ebay), it arrived today & I have a problem :(
When I turn it on theres all lines down the screen & random letters scatterd all over the loading pages - heres 2 photos:

ngsil0.jpg

2wnwxfn.jpg

When the computer arrived 1 of the ram sticks had come loose & was laying in the tower, & the proccessors fan was loose (the clips had come out).

Ive tried a different sata drive & still it has the exact problem, & I dont think the problem is with my monitor as it works fine on my other computer (this 1 im using now).

Can anybody please offer me any advice? im really lost on what to try :(

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Specs of pc:

Intel® CORE 2 DUO
2.66GHZ X2 - 4MB CACHE!
2.GB of corsair DDR2 RAM
DVD REWRITER - 16SPEED DUAL LAYER DRIVE WITH LIGHTSCRIBE
LARGE 250GB 16MB CACHE MAXTOR HARD DRIVE
1000MB(1GB) nvidia 8500gt GRAPHICS - DIRECTX 10
6 x USB - 2 on front panel
10/100 Ethernet
ONBOARD HD SOUND
650W POWER SUPPLY
INCLUDED IS A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS XP PRO SERVICE PK 3 EDTION & ALL DRIVERS & UPDATES
COA INCLUDED ON CASE

Reseat the video card. From what you are saying, a lot of stuff might have been knocked loose during shipping. You should reseat everything just to be on the safe side, and make sure the HSF is making contact with the CPU (with thermal paste, of course)

Reseat the video card. From what you are saying, a lot of stuff might have been knocked loose during shipping. You should reseat everything just to be on the safe side, and make sure the HSF is making contact with the CPU (with thermal paste, of course)

Thanks for your response mate, ive taken the graphics card out & put it back in - still the same problem :(

I notice there isnt that much thermal paste on the HSF, so ill get some of that in the morning.

Do you think its likelly to be the graphics card? is there anyway I could test it? unfortantelly my other graphics card is AGP one so I dont think I could use that could I? dont suppose I could test it via the onboard graphics?

Edit> Could it also be a ram problem? Because for a start I couldnt get my monitor to pick up the tower (no signal) - until I took a ram stick out.

reinstall drivers, does any other part of windows act up with the same wierd letters, any crashes or virus's?

reinstall drivers, does any other part of windows act up with the same wierd letters, any crashes or virus's?

hi mate, what happens is the second I turn it on I get that screen with all the jumbled up letters/numbers (I presume thats the screen where it detects your configuration before it proceeds to the windows xp screen).
Once I get to the xp screen where it asks if I want to sign in as admin or regular user (theres all lines down the screen).. It then crashes completly :( & trys to restart.. back to that page with all the jumbled up letters/numbers.

I can get into safe mode with networking (still all lines down the screen) & I checked device manager - everything is in order.

Ive just taken the graphics card out totally & am running the computer via the onboard graphics & everything is perfect :eek:

So it must just be my pci-e graphics card? I dont have another graphics card to test except my AGP from my other machine - but I dont think I can use that on a pci-e motherboard?

I guess my next step will be to go buy a cheap pci-e card just to test? im not sure what else I can do :(

yep send it back to newegg and get another one it must be a manufacters fault sorry man not much you can do there.

buying a pc on ebay already built is neg

and i'd of thought it be your graphics card stright away, your screen has loose characters on, maybe your graphics card has a snapped part on it, try checking it , look at it good and something has snapped of abit re solder it as my friends did the same but she got no picture on her montier, and someone found a loose resister thing on it and i pushed it on while she turned it on and it worked but she needed to solder it. anyway ya never know

Back
Top Bottom