Wow - New computer. Pros and Problems

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Wow! This computer goes so damn fast! It does have a few problems though.

1.Every, about, five seconds it makes a clicky noise.. Like you clicked "back" on your browser or something. Getting very annoying. It's like it's refreshing something all the time...

2.On Start Up, the ASUS Screen comes up for a second, then another screen that says what I have plugged in (USB, HDD, CD ROM) . At the very bottom it says
"CPU Fan Error" (I edited this to correct it)
"Press F1 to continue"

What's wrong? My Tuniq tower works. It came with a knob that goes in a pci slot to make the fan go faster or slower and that works. Why does it say it failed?

3. TV Tuner Wont install via CD. Doing it now.. or trying. I pop the CD in and it sounds like a broken car.. like a person that cant drive... It presses the gas for a second, then slows down. Does it again and again. And now it just stopped. I just got done with the mobo drivers and vid. card drivers so I know it works...

4. When I installed Windows I partitioned my drive. I gave the OS 50gb or something. I open My Computer and it's there.. but my other 400gb partition is not! Now when I say I partitioned, I mean that I typed in 50000 and formatted it. It didn't ask me to do anything with the remaining stuff - format or anything of the sort. How do I get it back? lolz

I'm sure there will be more :D

Thanks

-Q

1.Every, about, five seconds it makes a clicky noise.. Like you clicked "back" on your browser or something. Getting very annoying. It's like it's refreshing something all the time...

It sounds like your hard drive is dying. Back up all your valuable information immediately.

I just bought this hdd. The clicking noise is coming through the speakers.

And the beginning screen says "CPU fan Error" not failure. Sorry about that.

Fixed the Tuner issue.. don't know how. Just took the card out and played with it.. put it back in and it worked. Guess I didn't have it in right.

Yeah.. and I'm currently installing SP3... I can't install anything until I do SP3, I'm kind of stuck :D
And I don't feel like looking else where for .net framework and all that other junk... Someone said SP3 was bad, but I don't know myself :p

driver rolling back audio drivers and re downloading them and installing? is it a sound card or built in audio?

maybe that cd rom is broke? or the cd? or is it a dvd disk trying it in a cd rom?

Does it do this when the speakers are off? If not it could be one of you startup programs doing this.Just go into start>run "msconfig" and click on 'startup' and untik what you dont need.

And the beginning screen says "CPU fan Error" not failure. Sorry about that.

It Might have something to do with the controller,go into your BIOS and there should be something like "cool n quiet" or "Direct Fan Control": Something like that,Turn these off,this might fx it.

I can answer questions 2, 3 and 4 for ya.

There's nothing wrong with the set up. The CPU fan is temperature controlled. When you first start the computer the fan is switched off because it just isn't needed as the CPU is cold. So the BIOS will give this error due to the CPU fan not turning. This is standard on premium ASUS motherboards. My fan only just starts turning while Windows is loading, which is when the CPU will start to do something and heat up.

So nothing wrong with your motherboard or CPU and it just shows that the cool & quiet feature is working properly.

What I have done is turned of the error reporting in the BIOS so that it doesn't tell me that the fan isn't turning when I first boot up because I know this anyways. The other option is to switch off cool & quiet but the CPU fan will spin at it's highest speed all the time which would annoy me. Although you have a fan speed controller for the CPU fan and woud mean you adjusting the speed manually all the time.

I would connect the CPU fan directly to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard and use the speed controller for another fan on your set up because cool & quiet will adjust the speed automatically.

Do this to set up the 400GB partition: START>>MY COMPUTER. Right Click on MY COMPUTER and Click on MANAGE. In the bigger section Click on STORAGE then Click on DISK MANAGEMENT(LOCAL). You'll see your partitions here but the 400GB will be blacked out. Right Click on the BLACK Partition and select Format Partition. Once this is done you'll be able to use the space.

And I know the clicking noise your getting through the speakers. Like you said it's the same sound you get when you click on the back button on a browser. I think this is a software issue, driver maybe, though and nothing to do with your hard drive. Infact it might be a problem with the bworser settings.

If you have a spare CD drive kicking about then try using the 'old' CD drive to do the install.

Apart from the few 'issues' that are coming up with this set up, which is common with some new builds, you have a very sweet rig there!

:)

yer reminiz i totally agree, my fan on my laptop does'nt turn on much, only when i watch something after 30mins it will turn on.

Nice! Thanks!

So I should go into the bios and turn off error reporting. Thanks.. now to figure out how to do it! :D

About the partitioning. I had to right click it and select "New Partition" Then "Extended Partition" then I right clicked it again and formatted it. I didn't see anywhere for just formatting,..

TV tuner! I got it installed! I think I said this yesterday.. but I just played with it physically and put it back in and the CD worked, guess I didn't have it in right?

I installed the Tuner.. but there is no program. How does it work? Do I just plug things in and a window comes up? I'm lost here.

OH, and I can't hear the clicking anymore. But the PSU, I think, or it might be one of the fans, is really loud!

I just hooked up the Xbox to my TV tuner through RCA.. nothing happened.

Sweet.

In the BIOS main screen go to the power tab. If it's the same as mine then at the bottom you'll see the 'Chip Fan Speed Warning'. Disable this and you won't get the notice when you boot up your rig.

And your right about the partitioning. When you create a new partition it will format the space anyways.

:)

And after that? Will it stop on that screen and I have to press F1 or will it just keep going? I don't want to have to press F1 every time :D

Now for the TV tuner :D googling it

Back
Top Bottom