Want to Upgrade Ram (Please Help)

errolsmusic

Beta member
I have an old computer and want to upgrade the ram. My processor is a Intel Celeron 2.70Ghz. I purchased it like 3-4 years ago. The Ram is at 512MB. And I would like to add another stick of 1gb ram.

I did some research and found out that in order to add another stick of RAM I'd have to Overclock it and is that safe? I did these steps:

1. Run
2. msconfig
3. BOOT.INI tab
4. Advanced Options
5. /maxmem=

It won't let me go higher that 511. Is this due to the processor? Does this mean I have to get a new processor in order to add more ram?

Pretty much, All I want to do is make the comp go faster. If I need a new processor I'm looking into an intel Core 2 Duo or Quad Core. Those are lookin quite sexy.

I dont know too much about computers but any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Errol

You do not need to overclock your ram to upgrade it and you dont need a new processor.. Adding another gb of ram is a good idea, you should see a significant improvement. But first i need to know the type of motherboard you have before i can show you which ram you need to get.

Download this program: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
When you run it, click the Mainboard tab
Look where it says chipset.

Post all of that info

Once you do that i can show you the ram to get and how to install it in your computer

Chipset: Intel i845G
Rev.: B1
Southbridge: Intel 82801DB (ICH4)
LPCIO: Winbond W83627THF

hopefully thats all you need =)

You will need DDR266/200 or PC133 SDRAM. DDR 226 is the fastest ram your mobo is capable of. You need to find out what ram speed you currently have and what configuration of ram your mobo can handle. Google your mobo model and download a user manual or post it up here and we can give you a link. You can get all that info from that cpuz program you downloaded. Or open the side of your case and get the model number off your mobo. You won't be able to put a Duo or Quad core into that mobo so if you are looking to upgrade your processor you would need to get a new motherboard also.

Yeah, I bought one a few months ago a while back. I put it in the 2nd empty slot. Made sure it was in correctly, Clipped both sides correclty. Then when I turned it on the screen would just be completely black...perhaps I purchased the wrong ram? The only thing I paid attention to was the PC3200...nothing else.

Another thing. The reason I want to upgrade is to run a some programs smoothly which my computer kind of isnt right now.

The minimum system requirements for the main program is:
Pentium III, Athlon XP, 256MB RAM

And I will be running programs under that program and I believe they'll be needing more ram, the system requirement for them is:
Win XP, Pentium III/Athlon 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM

So basically what I am asking is, since I don't have a Pentium III or better you think I should get more ram? Like around 2gb? I also want to be running programs outside of that, such as things like a webcam, go on AIM, browse internet, etc. at the same time. I hope I'm making sense. =)

Yeah, I bought one a few months ago a while back. I put it in the 2nd empty slot. Made sure it was in correctly, Clipped both sides correclty. Then when I turned it on the screen would just be completely black...perhaps I purchased the wrong ram? The only thing I paid attention to was the PC3200...nothing else.

Another thing. The reason I want to upgrade is to run a some programs smoothly which my computer kind of isnt right now.

The minimum system requirements for the main program is:
Pentium III, Athlon XP, 256MB RAM

And I will be running programs under that program and I believe they'll be needing more ram, the system requirement for them is:
Win XP, Pentium III/Athlon 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM

So basically what I am asking is, since I don't have a Pentium III or better you think I should get more ram? Like around 2gb? I also want to be running programs outside of that, such as things like a webcam, go on AIM, browse internet, etc. at the same time. I hope I'm making sense. =)

Try going to http://www.crucial.com/ and run there advisory tool it will tell you what type of upgrades you can make, you don't need to buy from them, just write down the part and shop around.

Back
Top Bottom