Newly Built Computer problem

Stoked

Solid State Member
I just built a computer for my brother, but I didn't test anything out because I was in a rush to get it delivered to him. He said when he turns it on nothing shows on the screen and it just goes into standby mode and you have to turn it off by unplugging it. When I was putting it together I noticed that the power supply plug that plugs into the motherboard wasn't quite as bit as the slot(there was a 2x2 space left after being plugged in). Would this be the problem and all he has to do is buy a new power supply?

Thanks,
Stoked

Yep.

This is the problem.

The Motherboard has a 24 pin ATX plug and you've plugged a 20 pin ATX from the power supply.

So it's either a new PSU with a 24 pin ATX or the PSU might have the 20+4 pin ATX style connector. If this is the case then join the 20 pin plug to the 4 pin plug to get the 24 pin ATX plug you need.

:)

Yea I think I noticed it when I was putting it together but I was in a rush so I kinda just threw it all together...I am gonna call my brother later on when he wakes up and see if he can find it.

I finally bought a new Power Supply with the 24 pins. Now my problem is the computer won't turn on. The motherboard will light up but when I hit the power button nothing turns on. Does this mean it is a defective PS?

Thanks,
Stoked

Back
Top Bottom