Codemasters Grid

Kage

Golden Master
Wow!

What can I say? I downloaded the demo about a week ago on the 360, and kept playing through it, trying to beat it, etc in the different modes available.
The drift mode grew on me over time, as I didn't like that too much at first due to me not having much luck :p

Anyway, I bought the game today, and what a game it is.

I knew from the demo, the graphics/sound etc were amazing, but the game itself is laid out so well.

It puts you in the driving seat almost straight away, to see what you can do, and then the game begins properly.

You start out in other teams, but I believe, when I get around 40,000, I can create my own team (EDIT: Which I now have, and you can customise the car to a certain extent too)

Theres loads of little touches though, that shows they put alot of work into this, from the all 3D menu's, to the fact it has a list of pre-recorded names, including mine that it uses in some of its speeches.

The physics are amazing, trust me. The damage modelling is pretty good, but not mind blowingly good, but it still works well. When you crash though, you wish that you could slow it down to see the crash better, but the camera doesn't allow you to do this, which is a shame.

But yeah, the physics even after playing it for a few hours still impress me, and the A.I's also excellent. They try to avoid a crash as well as you, and unlike many racers, they are not on a line. They make mistakes, and they battle out. If you go back in time for example, you can tell that they take a slightly different way around the track.

I've noticed a jitter quite regularly though in game, and in the replays, where it freezes for less than half a second, but it is noticable. I'll have to keep watch on that...
Its something to do with the loading or something, because if I restart a race, the freezes stop.

I also wish they had music while actually racing, but this isn't too hard if you have your Xbox hard drive full of some good stuff.

EDIT:

There is music actually, and adds to the nice little touches. On the races where you have to get get a best time in 3 laps, the music starts off quite low in volume, but on the last lap, the bass increases, etc, adding tension.

At the moment, I'm pretty impressed, and if your into arcadey/simulation racers like me (Think PGR), its amazing.

I bought Burnout Paradise the other week, and have hardly played that... I will probably sell it.

EDIT 2: The freezing seems to be lasting a bit longer now, but then continues like nothings happened.

I have a feeling, like always with bought products, I've gone and found a dodgy one first time, but I don't know wheather I'll just be able to swap it

Hmm, I think I'll check out the demo of this game tonight, sounds kind of interesting, but I probably won't buy it since I've been playing forza a lot lately again, haha.

man that sucks i only know of 1 game that ive played where you can't upgrade and that was 1nsane havent played that for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom