Need help on where to start w/ random crashes

NemoleAmzi

Beta member
Hello,

Ive been experiencing some random crashes recently while playing games and i dont rly know where to start to find the problem. My whole pc just freezes, not even the 'Num Lock' button responds and a black screen appears. I think that this is a video hardware related problem because this only occurs when i play games and also in the 'Problem reports and solutions' thing in control panel says that it was a video hardware error.

I installed the latest version of nvidia's drivers and yet the problems seems to stay.
I also recently installed SP1 which apparently has a lot of nvidia's hotfixes
And also my video core temperature seems normal at around 75 degrees celsius

Im running on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
my video card is an MSI 8800GTX
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
Physical Memory:
Total 4094 MB

Please can someone tell me where to start to find a fix for the problem?

Sounds like an overheating problem, have you got sufficient cooling for your PC?

If you want to test it out, get a desk fan (one of those 18 inch ones), open the side of your PC and cool it with this, if it doesn't crash then buy a new internal fan for your computer, the desk fan is just a temporary idea :rolleyes:

If this doesn't work, I had a similar problem agggeeess ago and it turned out that my PSU wasn't powerful enough, just another idea to check out though.

Regards,
Thom.

thanks for your reply. My case has a huge "vent" on the side its the "gigabyte aurora 570". And i did a benchmarking thing and the temperature didnt exceed ~85 degrees celsius for the gpu core, is that temp too high? and yes it still crashes, anything else i should check?

yes you got a nice system their.

Try going to a pc shop and asking the guy to test it, maybe if he says I have no time pay him a little and he'll start moving his ass.
Or one of your friends, I think it sounds serious

Or wait, edit, what about a hardware diagnois test

Look at the heatsinc, is there any dust between the panels? if so clean with a fine small brush, have you cleaned inside your case recently? a hoover out every 3-4 months is recommended, look at the ram and the video card as well but if your cleaning your ram from surface dust be very careful of scratching or static shock as this would blow your ram.

Yep, it turns out my case filled up with dust in less than 2 months @____@ i gave it a thorough vacuuming like suggested, thank you to everyone to helped me

Back
Top Bottom