Relogin share as different user/pass

rymort

In Runtime
I have a file server setup, and right now im doing alot of testing to ensure security. I log into the shared folder by going to start > run > and typing \\ipaddress which connects to my share and promts for a username and password, I log in which is fine. Now later I want to log into that share to test file permissions as a different user, how can I do this without have to shutdown/reboot the computer

You should be able to do this if the file server is XP Pro or Server version. Simply give permissions by user, and not by group. When you log out of your current session, and login as a different user, going to the same IP address should prompt you for a username and password. This is not all inclusive, but I believe this is how it's done- been a while since I setup a small network with these types of permissions.

Thanks but its a linux file server with Windows XP Clients

I should have told you this. My bad.

I believe this to be a client-side issue as I've seen this problem with both a linux-xp setup as well as a server2003-xp setup. There has to be a lease somewhere that xp is holding onto or something along that line. Can't find jack all on google either but I'm also not sure what to search for.

Well mount the shares in command line

net use \\server\share x:
(than connect)
net use /delete *

Back
Top Bottom