College Laptop

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, this isn't a "what should I buy" thread. This is more of a "What my college is providing me as part of tuition" thread.

I'm headding off the the Milwaukee School of Engineering next year, and they give you a lappy for two years. After sophomore year you turn it in and they give you a newer more updated one and upon grad you get to keep it. They do this so they can support all problems on site, and so they can include the $6000-9000 worth of software on your computer (price varies on major).

So my laptop that I'll be getting in september:

HP Compaq 8510W Mobile Workstation
C2D T8600 2.4Ghz
2GB PC2-5300 (667Mhz)
120GB Sata 7200 RPM Hard drive
Blue-ray Player/DVD Burner combo
Quadro FX 570M
Fingerprint Reader
Intel a/b/g/n wireless
full keyboard
dail up modem (why?)
15.4" 1920x1200 screen
Bluetooth
and XP Pro (I was hoping for Vista)

All in all not bad. I see no mention of what speed LAN it has, but I know it has one After Tax and stuff, before and software, this would be almost $3000. I pay about $1200 a year towards the lappy, but when you look at the fact that I'll get a newer better one in two years, it's all worth it :)

That looks pretty awesome, I'm going into Engineering next year too at Rutgers University School of Engineering. Not getting a laptop though =/. Congrats on your decision to get into engineering though :D.

dont think the hard drive matters cos your gonna have loads of network storage available to you i bet ,
as for them putting win xp on it , may be because some of the software they are giving you is not compatible with vista ,
and a lot of laptops have dial up modem dunno why but oh well

It has a low amount of ram :S

I know, but It's only one stick which leaves one port open. I can get a second stick for so cheap that won't be much of an issue.

small-ish hard drive aswell

It is, no lies there. But the fact that it's 7200 some-what makes up for it. Externals are some-what cheap to so that could make up for it. That, and I'll have my desktop down there so the lappy will really only be school + music + Blueray player

I know, but It's only one stick which leaves one port open. I can get a second stick for so cheap that won't be much of an issue.

It is, no lies there. But the fact that it's 7200 some-what makes up for it. Externals are some-what cheap to so that could make up for it. That, and I'll have my desktop down there so the lappy will really only be school + music + Blueray player

if your taking your desktop then that isnt a problem and like i said your gonna have loads of space to put your work and stuff on network storage i would guess seeing as they are giving you a laptop like that i bet they are gonna have a lot of network storage
memory isnt that small either really

it's pretty cool considering some colleges would give their students the rubbishest stuff i think you will be happy with it

Back
Top Bottom