bootmgr error

tylerbe992

Baseband Member
hello!
i have had xp and i upgraded it to vista..i dont like vista really tat much so i tried dowgrading it to xp again...when i stick the recovery cd in it works until it gets to "hard disk preparation" then reboots....when i try to load up the os it says bootmgr missing...plz help ....right now im using my friends computer for now...

try another install and see if it fixes the problem, did you partition the hdd, format? or just quick format??

You need to delete and recreate the partition, format it again, then reinstall, you probably won't be able to do this with a proprietry brand pc recovery disk, you'll need an XP disk. Be careful that you only delete the correct partition as most brand name pcs have a "recovery partition"

Vista uses BCD for boot manager, XP uses boot.ini, XP can not read BCD, that is causing your problem

As far as I know (never had or seen a Gateway so this is based on my experience with other brand names) the recovery disk doesn't have the functionality to delete and create partitions, so i doubt the option is available.

When you boot from the recovery disk does it give you any partition options like an XP disk?

You only need to borrow a disk to delete, recreate, format, once the format is done you should be able to load with the recovery disk.

Back
Top Bottom