External to Internal Hard Drive??

texasone

Beta member
I have an semi old Simlpletech SimpleDrive external hard drive. I was wondering if it was possible to turn it in to an Internal hard drive for my desktop. Is this possible or should i just keep it as an external hard drive??

it should be possible although i have hear some of the old external drives had there usb things soldered on as apposes to nowa days they jus clip on

i know you can turn an internal into an external using a hard drive enclosure. not sure if it works vice versa

Most external hard drives are just internal ones in a case. Just unscrew the case and pop the harddrive into your computer.

silent1mezzo: Most external hard drives are just internal ones in a case. Just unscrew the case and pop the harddrive into your computer.
I did uncase it some weeks ago and it looked like a hard drive with a circuit board in a case. I look to see if it is soldered or clipped on(the USB and power). The only problem I have a question I have now is this, when I have it setup as a USB external drive, I always get a keyboard failure. I'm not sure, but I think it is because the box is looking for the keyboard settings and the external hard drive is searched before the internal drive. I think it is a bios setting malfunction. Any other possibility??

I just open the case and undid the drive till I got what I would put into my desktop. I found an error. It needs a ribboncord(I think that is what it is called, the last computer course on what is inside the computer, I took in like 2003 on a computer that was made in '97). I am sending links to the photos of the actual cords and the ports/connectors on the hard drive itself.
http://rzitex.deviantart.com/art/SimpleTech-Hard-Drive-88487644
http://rzitex.deviantart.com/art/SimpleTech-Hard-Drive-cords-88488448
Is there anyway around that problem or the usb about as far as I'm going to get with this thing??

That's an IDE hard drive. Also known as ATA. Find an IDE cable and connect it to your motherboard. (Most motherboards have at least one IDE port)

Thx Mammoth. I just found some reasonably priced ones. Now I can use hackintosh or solaris or windows without interference issues with linux.

I just reformatted my drive to ext3 and I still get the same problem. My laptop mounts it, my desktop doesn't. should I reformat to ext2 or should I try changing
Code:
/etc/fstab
for auto-mount. I'm redoing my desktop this weekend, so any advice before would be helpful.

I take it you'll have a power cable as well for when you mount it in your case. They use different connectors than SATA drives. IDE uses the large 4 pin cables.

And I too have an IDE hard drive I'm gonna install Linux or Hackintosh on. (Of course I screwed up in the process..)

I didn't attach the hard drive as an internal. It's still an external drive. I don't have any IDE cords, so I have to go to a computer/electronic store. I'm just want to use it as an data holder. I'm not going to call hackintosh on it since I don't have any programs for OSX and thats an interweb project for another day. but I still need help with the drive. It's been doing this to me even before I reformatted the drive. It won't mount. Please help.

I actually have no clue what's up with your hard drive's mounting issues. Sorry. (I'm having issues with my mistake where I set an empty hard drive as the boot partition)

Back
Top Bottom