..Okay what did I do?

Mammoth

Baseband Member
Yeah so I made a mistake by setting an empty hard drive as the active partition. It doesn't look that hard to fix (LiveCD's are awesome) but I was running the Vista install disk to make sure it would boot into that and I'd see if "fixing" Vista from it would help. Of course something happens when it's checking my install or something and the entire computer shuts down. I suspect hardware is the problem so I open the case and find out the GPU is burning hot. (It was _really_ hot) Now when I turn on the computer I don't see anything on screen at all. I suspect the GPU burned out (No fun....) or something's up with the PSU because now pressing the power button turns off the system as well and the reset button is totally useless. Specs:

ASUS P5N-D
Q9300
8GB Patriot RAM
2x500GB SATA
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Zalman
Silverstone Strider 600W
Silverstone KL01

definitly a hardware problem.
I doubt that it's a PSU problem.
the power on / power off immediatly with the switch press is not a problem with the power supply. I don't think. it should be able to do this, as it should be possible to turn this off in the bios anyway.

do you have some other components that you can try swapping things out with?

Not for the video card. I do have an Enermax PSU in a dead rig in the basement. (Processor got owned I think) I'll try that sometime. The PSU just turned off again so I'll see what happens now.

Back
Top Bottom