Preventing Auto Updates for Creative

arpharazon

Beta member
I tried this in the Creative forum, no reply.

I was having trouble with most of my Creative software last week, I couldn't even run diagnostics, it said something about incompatible drivers. At that point I tried their beta driver, just for kicks. That made things worse, so I decided it was time to reformat my machine altogether.
I installed from my original Creative CD for my X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, and the remote worked for the first time since I originally built this machine in October. Then after a couple days the remote stopped working again. I have again reformatted the computer (for this and other reasons).
The question now is, how can I prevent ANY updates from happening that will change the Creative drivers once I install them again? Will making the Creative folder read-only work?
Or, is there something in the registry that can be changed to "roll back" any of these updates?
The first time through this (last year) no matter how carefully or how many times I uninstalled & reinstalled the drivers (10+ times with cleanest of clean boots), the remote never started working again (until full reformat was done and again only for a couple days), so this leads me to think there's something in the registry that wasn't getting deleted during unistallation.

Running WinXP (x32/SP3).

Thanks.

Well, I just looked on my system (I have a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi xTreme Gamer) and went to start>programs>creative>creative software autoupdate

And from there you click on settings and then if "ask me before installation" is unchecked, check it. If it is checked, then I am stumped.

Did the reinstall, but then had to come to work. I also noticed/remembered that if you check "remind me later" on the AU screen instead of "update now", it pops up another window where you can uncheck the AU option completely. I remember doing that the first time around, but I think it was after it had already autoupdated to the newer drivers, and of course I was never able to "completely" uninstall it properly.
After last weeks reformat and reinstall, I think I had forgotten about being able to uncheck that box.
Do you think the InstallShield updater may try to AU the Creative stuff?

Back
Top Bottom