core 2 duo question (easy one?)

Anthea22

Beta member
Hey guys, just got a simple question that I would be most greatful if anybody could help me with.

Im looking to buy a core 2 duo, ive found a resnobly priced one via ebay, I notice the seller has put this in his description:

WE ARE HONEST RETAILERS & EBAYERS AND WE WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT MANY TRADERS ON EBAY SET OUT TO MISLEAD BUYERS WITH REGARD TO PROCESSOR SPEEDS.

WE WOULD LIKE TO CLEAR THIS UP ONCE AND FOR ALL, WITH DUAL CORE YOU HAVE 2 CPU'S ON ONE CHIP, EACH PERFORMING AT 2.4Ghz, THIS IS WHAT GIVES YOU SPEED AND EFFICIENCY. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS PROCESSOR CAN ACHIEVE THE 4.8 Ghz THAT OTHER SELLERS CLAIM. TAKE THIS AS MY PERSONAL ADVICE, BUT IF I WAS SOLD A PC WHICH CLAIMED TO RUN AT 4.8 Ghz, I WOULD BE LOOKING AT THE SYSTEM CONTROL PANEL TO CONFIRM IT. I GUARANTEE IT WILL ONLY SHOW AS 2.4 Ghz!

I apoligise for caps (copied & pasted).

Could anybody verify that the last bit is correct & he sounds honest? (the system control bit).

Thanks for reading my question.

You can overclock it to 4.0 ghz easily though.

Do you think they will ever have mobo's that support 2 processors? Or is that not possible?

Yeah. The reason is, no program would utilise each core 100% in reality, so theres no way you'd ever get that amount back.
The CPU's split the load, so with 2 cores, each core will do 50% of the work, or there abouts. It'll just be able to do more this way in one go, since if only 50% is used up on one core (this is an example), you could run another program to use up the remaining 50%.

You can overclock it to 4.0 ghz easily though.

Do you think they will ever have mobo's that support 2 processors? Or is that not possible?

Many mobos made for servers support two (or more) processors.

I don't believe there are any motherboards made for a consumer desktop that support two, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see them soon.

I don't believe there are any motherboards made for a consumer desktop that support two, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see them soon.

By 2 processors you mean like (example) 2 dual cores in there? Sorry it's just a bit confusing. Additionally, how would a server motherboard run on a gaming pc? I'm sure this has been attempted.

By 2 processors you mean like (example) 2 dual cores in there? Sorry it's just a bit confusing. Additionally, how would a server motherboard run on a gaming pc? I'm sure this has been attempted.

Yes, 2 dual cores (I think quad too). I haven't heard of anyone using a server mobo on a gaming machine, it wouldn't be very efficient

I i understand things right, Intel's Skulltrail platform will have dual-socket boards designed for enthusiests. It's due out by the end of summer i believe.

Back
Top Bottom