computer name

spmorgan21

Baseband Member
Ok, my mom bought a laptop from a friend, and it was registered in her name. Is there anyway you can change that registered name, cause it comes up everytime you try and download or share anything her name comes up?

This is for Windows XP. And this will change the name that the laptop is registered in.

Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.
Then click on the Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.
Type the word Regedit into the white area and then click on the OK button.
Click on the plus sign [+] next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand that section.
Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Software to expand that section.
Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Microsoft to expand that section.
Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Windows NT to expand that section.
Then click on the yellow folder entitled Current Version. Do not click on its plus sign [+].
Now move over to the right side of the screen and scroll down until you see Registered Owner.
Double click directly onto the words Registered Owner until it opens up for you.
There will be a white entry area entitled Value data: awaiting your input.
Simply type your first and last name into the white area and click on the OK button.
If you also want to add or change the Company information, then please continue onward.
Double click directly onto the words Registered Organization until it opens up for you.
There will also be a white entry area entitled Value data: awaiting your input.
Simply type your Company information into the white area and click on the OK button.
Now close the Registry by clicking on the X box located at the top right corner of the screen.
You must reboot your computer for the changes to take effect for Windows XP.

If it has Windows Vista installed on it do this :

Start
Control panel
Change to Classic view on the left had navigation
System
On the main system page click "Change Settings" it has one of those Windows shields next to it.
Then click "Change" under the computer name tab

Not sure how to do this in Windows XP

Hope that helps

And have your mom's friend call or send an email explaining she has sold the unit and request a change of ownership.

ok i changed the name from the last registered person to my moms name but when you go to like, CTRL, ALT,DLT, and try logging off my mom then it still says the last persons name?

Back
Top Bottom