getting new harddrive...questions

amp27

Daemon Poster
so first question. did my last harddrive go dead. it trys to boot up and the computer starts beeping and ramdom charactors started being listed.

i am sure it is dead and it dont matter cause it dont work and i need a new one anyway.

i would like to stay with WD.

IDE or SATA?

i dont have SATA ports, but can buy a pci card that does. up to 1.5gb/sec too.

i am buying on newegg too. fyi

also. i thought i read something about how windows only supports 150 gb drives. is this true?

That sounds more like a bad video card than a bad drive. The beeps indicate your system is finding a problem and the odd characters are usually caused by a bad video card.

What do the beeps sound like?

like this

it is your normal beep you here on bootup.

but it goes on like this.

beebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeebeep. kinda fast but countable(thats not the count it goes on forever)

a RAM problem.

yesterday i took apart the whole computer and put it back together. i had a old drive that ran on 98 and i poped that in to see if the whole computer worked and it did. so right now it would work if i new the password for it. but yea it booted right up. but i want my w2kpro back

That's a bad video card beep. Usually 1 long then 3 short beeps indicate bad memory. Make sure the card is fully seated and has the 6 pin power connector attached if equipped.

i had it working yesterday with a differnt drive. did you not read that

Well then I don't know. If you have double checked to make sure everything was firmly seated and all cables and wires are connected (keyboard and mouse too), then I'm stumped. I have never heard of a drive causing a computer to beep like that. They either work or they don't.

i don't think it's the harddrive either despite the fact he's tried a different one and it worked

well i could try putting it in this computer. i think we got a problem here ill start a new theard with the proper tiltle so it gets more attenion from the right people.

the title is fine but the problems your experiencing arent usually associated with a failing hdd that's all we are saying.

Back
Top Bottom