My Latest Virus Incident

So i was 'sampling' some programs off the interwebz,when i extract a ZIP Archive,and it was simply just DOS Style Exe's,I Though to myself "What the hell" And Double Click it.

All of the sudden,my computer goes very slow,i get a million and one popup's from Comodo and Spyware terminator,and my computer shutdown.So I reboot,it comes up to the XP Boot screen,and the restarts.So i held down F8 and booted up in safe mode,i check the logs,and it tells me the computer failed to start because some drivers didnt start.So i restart,but use the option "Dont restart on error",And it BSOD's,FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA.

Based off these 2 errors,It all seems clear,The Virus Corrupted my driver files.Luckily i had a backup of my windows install,so i restore my SYSTEM And SYSTEM32 Folders,Windows Booted!

So i did virus scans,reg scans,check msconfig,check the task manager,and i though i had gotten rid of it.So i plugged in my ethernet again,within 5 minutes my anti virus and anti spyware programs went mad! And a few icons in the task bar appeared,i hovered over one of them and it said "Spam defender installing" or something along those lines,so i unplugged the net,backed up what i needed,restored my backup (From my orignal install) and restored everything i needed.Im Glad my backup software actually worked,this happend in 1 hour,if i didnt have backups,it would have taken me atleast 3 hours.Now that i think about,i forgot to backup my email accounts and my mozilla plugins and skins.dammit.

So,Any of you had any virus experiences lately :D

Not lately. I did fix a system that was infected with about 10 viruses. Not sure how the guy got them all. It wouldn't boot into Windows or safe mode. Just did a reinstall since he didn't have anything important to save.

For me, the last time I had to restore my system from something like that, was when I tried out XP SP3 and it messed up my system pretty bad. I did a system restore somehow and got it back to normal after awhile. But now I just installed SP3 again yesterday and it works fine...

a buddy of mine from work comes to me, and tells me he's got some problems with his computer. so i ask what, and he says it runs really really slowely, and he gets random pop ups. So i told him to bring it in and i'd have a look.
Well first thing, i came to a conclusion its probably a virus, or spyware program running in his background. BTW He does download a lot of videos and music... Well i installed norton symantec anti-virus, and started to run it. We all went back to work, and by our lunch break, i check to see how the progress was going, and no joke...symantec had found 876 unique viruses and trojans on his PC. My question is, how did his pc even survive having all those. Now they weren't all like major, but to have 876 and your computer still boots...i was surprised.
Well thats my little virus story for you all...

Thats what you get for being a noob.... I haven't had ONE virus or problem in 6 years.

last problem i had to get rid of was vundo, it is a complete pain in the ass a friend of mine managed to get infected.

nope. virus free i hope :)
my poor server has been without a firewall and antivirus for ages though. finally found an antivirus that works with it :)

So i was 'sampling' some programs off the interwebz,when i extract a ZIP Archive,and it was simply just DOS Style Exe's,I Though to myself "What the hell" And Double Click it.
And then all Hell broke loose, lmao

Warez sites and virus', good combo. :D

I can't remember the last time I had a virus, probably more than five years ago easy.

And then all Hell broke loose, lmao

Warez sites and virus', good combo. :D

I can't remember the last time I had a virus, probably more than five years ago easy.

same here over the last 6 years ive had nod32 for the last 2 years and symantec coorporate edition for for 4 years b 4 that and there live file scanning is amazing,

if i extract .exe files then before i click the "open folfer when i click finish" button the dodgy files are gone because the anti virus removes them.

Back
Top Bottom