vpn router and qwest modem

Mavias89

Beta member
I have a Linksys Wireless-G VPN Router with RangeBooster WRV200 connected with a qwest Actiontec 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway with 4-port Router, anyway our problem is that we need the actiontec to act as just a modem so that we can use the wrv200 as the main router and the modem as nothing more than a modem. We called qwest and they told us that because our isp is connect 2 that they cannot help. My question is, can we simply do an easy step from the modem to change it from a router to just a modem?

What model is the actiontec? You'll want to do what is called unnumbered mode. If I know what model you have I might be able to find a link for directions to configure it for unnumbered mode.

gt701-wg qwest modem/router basically what we want to do is connect 2 vpn routers from me and my buddies house. Thanks for your help.

I mistakenly assumed you had a block of static ips from your ISP. Unnumbered mode only works with a block of static ip addresses ... typically in a business environment.

However, that doesn't mean we still can't figure out how to resolve your problem. :) Depending on if you have a single static ip address or your modem receives an ip address via DHCP, you will use a form of tranparent bridging. You will probably need to call Qwest (I know ... an unpleasant experience to say the least) to determine exactly what transparent bridge settings you need. Here's a link for your modem manual: http://www.scribd.com/doc/238259/gt701wg-user-manual-v20. Look towards pages 57-62 or so ... it has the steps for doing transparent bridging. Perhaps you can determine the settings on your own. Good luck ... let me know how it pans out.

***Note*** Keep in mind that if you're trying to establish a vpn tunnel between yourself and a friend ... you're going to struggle at times if your ISP issues your public ip address dynamically. If it keeps changing, you're going to have to reconfigure your vpn routers with the new ip addresses. You'd be better off getting assigned a static ip address (if you haven't already) ... it costs $5 more month I think.

I worked for qwest for about three years and getting these actiontechs to vpn can be a pain in the ass.

Edit: And by the way...Good luck getting somebody who knows how to do this..

Edit: Last I worked there the single static is $5 a month with a one time setup fee of $25.

Edit: And by the way...Good luck getting somebody who knows how to do this.

I'm assuming you mean at Qwest. I have 3 actiontecs working in a business environment utilizing unnumbered mode. A buddy of mine is using his at home doing one of the transparent bridging options as I described above. The only reason I don't know off hand which option to use is because I personally have cable internet and have no need for bridging.

They may not be easy to work with, but it can be done with these actiontecs.

Yeah I have a static address and yeah transparent bridging after doing some digging Seems like the best option. and yes we are basically trying to simulate a small business so someday we can go into the consulting field. Gotta learn somehow haha. Thanks for all your help I was borrowing the vpn router from my college instructor but I have one on the way that I bought (woot) I will get back when it gets here and let you know if it ends up working.

Welcome to the industry Mavias89! Are you just getting started with your schooling ... in the middle ... or nearing the end? Are you training in a specified field or general networking? MS based, Linux-based, or both?

Just getting started but looking forward to moving ahead. As far as specialty goes I'm a little torn I grew up with windows 95-xp so I love the gui but I work for a web hosting company and all we use are ubuntu and centos for our servers so naturally everyone wants to learn php and mysql to move up in the company but I think learning both would be good and maybe specialize in windows since its the primary os for the industry (at the moment) but who knows.

I'm assuming you mean at Qwest. I have 3 actiontecs working in a business environment utilizing unnumbered mode. A buddy of mine is using his at home doing one of the transparent bridging options as I described above. The only reason I don't know off hand which option to use is because I personally have cable internet and have no need for bridging.

They may not be easy to work with, but it can be done with these actiontecs.

Yes, I meant getting a qwest technician...And I never said it can't be done. I have set them up myself. I suppose it may have seemed more difficult because I had to walk the users through it over the phone.

Back
Top Bottom