Memtest86+ in Vista

Dieter

Baseband Member
Can I use Memtest86+ in vista 64 bit? I'm getting a lot of BSOD's and I want to run Memtest86+ to see if I have a faulty RAM stick.

Yes. Memtest86+ will run on most any system irregardless of operating system. You create either a bootable CD, floppy or USB memory stick and then boot from that to run the program.

Ok good, and I just downloaded Memtest86+ 2.01 and when I extracted files it came out as a .bin, is that what it was suppose to come out as?

Which one exactly did you download? Are you planning to run it from CD, floppy, or USB stick?

Have a read through the Memtest FAQ. It will tell you how to set it up and use.

I have a USB stick but I got my BIOS update on it, not sure if that would matter anyways, but I'm going to use a CD. And thanks for the link to that Memtest FAQ, I'll use that.

For a CD, you'll need the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). Once unzipped, you'll need to burn the ISO to a CD using a burning program such as Nero. Then just set your BIOS to boot to CD, pop in the CD and reboot. The test will start automatically. If you have multiple sticks of memory, you'll want to test each one separately to weed out the bad stick.

Ok sounds good, got the ISO file, burning image to CD and will run Memtest hopefully ( well not really ) I find a problem here so I can fix it.

Back
Top Bottom