New gfx card and psu

BlindBusDriver

Baseband Member
my current set up for my computer is a AMD 4200+, 4 gigs of DDR2 800mhz ram, a nvidia 7800 Gt 256mb, and this mobo http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2310

I want to upgrade a 8 series card and ive been looking at this 8800GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

Only problem is my psu doesnt have the 6 pin connector to power the card and it requires a 400W minimum PSU (mines only 250W it came with my case) so i need a new PSU and ive been looking at this 600W one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

My questions are if the mobo with its PCI Express 16x slot will run the 8800GT that says its a PCI Express 2.0 16x card. And if the PSU and GPU im looking at are the best bang for my buck or if i could get a worse PSU that still gives the same quality. I'm willing to spend around 300 total on both.

Yep, that card will work fine on your mobo, the 2.0 is backwards compatible. I'm an nVidia fanboy, but as i have told many other people, the new AMD video cards(the 4xxx series), are supposed to trump the 9800gtx in performance. The 4850 is only supposed to be around $190, and better benchmarks than the 9800gtx. Charts:

news7580_1.jpg

So, I would wait until the 25th of this month to get a new video card. As for your PSU, I would get that one, as it is just fine. I would suggest getting that right now, and then buying the 4850 later this month. IMO, this is what I think you should do. Your 7800 should last you a few more weeks, right?

btw, all of this is if you're not planning on SLI. If you are, I'd still wait until the prices drop, because of the new gtx 200 series.

will that ati card work in my mobo? And i herd the 2.0 slot is backwards compatable but my mobo has a 1.0 slot the 2.0 card will still work at full performance on a 1.0 slot?

will that ati card work in my mobo? And i herd the 2.0 slot is backwards compatable but my mobo has a 1.0 slot the 2.0 card will still work at full performance on a 1.0 slot?
Yes. PCI-E 2.0 currently offers no performance benefits.

One thing you need to remember is that you shouldn't count on just the preliminary 3DMark score to determine if a card is better because that doesn't tell the whole story of how it performs overall in actual game play. That single test also doesn't take into consideration the new Nvidia GT280 cards to be released soon. The current outlook on the prices are $250+ for the HD 4850 and $299+ for the HD 4870.

As for your current selection, The EVGA Superclocked 8800GT for $179 is a great deal on a high performing video card.

PCIe 2.0 video cards are fully compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots.

The OCZ 600W PSU you selected is a good one. If you're not planning on doing SLI or Crossfire, you could save yourself some money and get the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W - $64.99 ($39.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) which will be more than enough to power your system.

Awesome, without these forums id be in the dark about computers entirely or would have to just devote a bunch of time to research since computers advance so quickly...

Im gonna order this all tomorrow off newegg then. Im pumped to be able to play cod4 and crysis.

Back
Top Bottom