Corruption in file NTFS.sys.

Spartan89D

Solid State Member
My computer won't even start up. This is the message I get when I boot it up: "Something about corruption in the file NTFS.sys"

I know what it does. It's like FAT and all that crap.

I fixed my CD drive so I could insert the recovery disk. Didn't work. Tried formatting it. Didn't work. I even tried hooking my computer up to a new hard drive. Epic failure. Blue screen of death once. I can enter BIOS, but it doesn't help me. I can't start in safe mode in any way. Help?

Have you tried this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

I've had this happen a long time ago, and reloading was the only thing that solved it. The above may work for you though. Worth a try.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:
1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.

Like I said, using the startup disk / CD didn't work. It got finished loading up but it didn't do anything. It was like a download freezing at 100%.

And yeah, I did visit this page already. Thanks though.

"corrupted NTFS.sys" is usually caused by a physical bad hard disk, corrupted filesystem or bad memory.

If your CD is not loading, this reaffirms the possibility of bad hardware.

Some other possibilities include a bad IDE cable, bad drive channel or bad memory slot. Overheating could also be a problem as well as corrupted or buggy chipset/IDE/SCSI drivers.

Run this
Memory test: www.memtest86.org

Use This
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

If you find an error in mem test, you need new ram
if you find an error in the hard drive test, you need a new hard drive

Run this
Memory test: www.memtest86.org

Use This
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

If you find an error in mem test, you need new ram
if you find an error in the hard drive test, you need a new hard drive

Thanks, but I can't run either of those. The computer I'm talking about won't even start up. I can't start it up at all.

I'm using my Mac right now. Figures.

However, I looked at your links and I almost forgot to say that I changed the IDE ribbon cables.

Technically speaking- your computer does startup, or else you wouldn't see the message at all. From this standpoint, I was assuming you are able to boot to the CD ROM drive, with the Windows disc, which is why I proposed the link.

Now if you are able to get to loading Windows- and things go down hill from there- it is a hardware issue. The links that Prodigy146 gave you are good ones- the diagnostics listed on that site have "bootable" versions that do not require Windows to run a diagnostic test. If your computer will boot from the Windows disc, it will boot from the diagnostic disc. So, let's be sure- you are able to boot from the CD ROM, correct?

You hit the power switch, what happens next?

Main message it gives me is "Secondary master hard disk fail"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHylpm7q2X8

Technically speaking- your computer does startup, or else you wouldn't see the message at all. From this standpoint, I was assuming you are able to boot to the CD ROM drive, with the Windows disc, which is why I proposed the link.

Now if you are able to get to loading Windows- and things go down hill from there- it is a hardware issue. The links that Prodigy146 gave you are good ones- the diagnostics listed on that site have "bootable" versions that do not require Windows to run a diagnostic test. If your computer will boot from the Windows disc, it will boot from the diagnostic disc. So, let's be sure- you are able to boot from the CD ROM, correct?

The hard drive doesn't start up. I am able to boot the CD ROM.

do you hear a ticking noise from the hard drive?

if you dont you might have a chance. unplug the power cord. unplug the ide cable from the hard drive wait a minute. plug it back in and start your comp back up.

i used to ghetto start my comp like that so many times when my hd failed :)

do you hear a ticking noise from the hard drive?

if you dont you might have a chance. unplug the power cord. unplug the ide cable from the hard drive wait a minute. plug it back in and start your comp back up.

i used to ghetto start my comp like that so many times when my hd failed :)

Yes, I hear the ticking noises. Plus, I've done this about 8 times already. Thanks though. I guess the computer is just screwed. I have no money to buy a new one. I barely have enough money for anything else. Shit. I'm runnin' on empty. Any more ideas, guys?

Back
Top Bottom