Suggestion on new Media center build?

burton_o61

Daemon Poster
I plan on building a DVR/media center. Would you suggest the Quad core or would the Dual core work fine?

i would go with Dual core because quad core pricing will plummet in july. So get a dual core for now and if you need something faster buy a quad core later in the year.

you'll spend less money overall and have a faster cpu.

If prices are going to fall just wait until July and get a quad core then. Don't waste money on a Dual Core if you're going to get a Quad later.

I recommend the Quad.

if you need something faster buy a quad core later in the year.

A media center will never need a quad core EVER. but if he changes his mind and goes to gaming he could buy a quad core later in the year for a really cheap price. thats why i said that.

A media center will never need a quad core EVER. but if he changes his mind and goes to gaming he could buy a quad core later in the year for a really cheap price. thats why i said that.

Agreed. MC will only need more than a dual-core if your using more than one TV tuner to record something while watching off another card, and running a virus scan. The odds of that happening are slim.

At any rate, you will want Vista Home premium for your OS. It makes everything so easy. Scheduled records, picks up your tv listings, and can do a fair amount of other media-related tasks.

Agreed. MC will only need more than a dual-core if your using more than one TV tuner to record something while watching off another card, and running a virus scan. The odds of that happening are slim.

At any rate, you will want Vista Home premium for your OS. It makes everything so easy. Scheduled records, picks up your tv listings, and can do a fair amount of other media-related tasks.

I will be using a dual tuner card. So I can record while watching another channel, just like I do with my cable dvr. I will probly wait till July. Thanks guys.

hell you could use 2 tv tuners with a dual core would be more than powerfull enough

dual core , especially considering cooling sound issues and space inside the case if you are going small form factor like a shuttle pc

hell you could use 2 tv tuners with a dual core would be more than powerfull enough

dual core , especially considering cooling sound issues and space inside the case if you are going small form factor like a shuttle pc

It will be a mid tower.

Anyway, can't wait to start it. Thanks guys.

Quad would run smoother for what you're going to be using ur pc for. But also...the price is much higher then the dual...and if you get a good dual core...with overclocking abilities...you'll out run a Qaud-core by a lot.

That's why I said "and running a virus scan". Just the two tv-tuners running wouldn't do much, like you said.

Quad would run smoother for what you're going to be using ur pc for. But also...the price is much higher then the dual...and if you get a good dual core...with overclocking abilities...you'll out run a Qaud-core by a lot.

No. most of those applications are not multi-threaded. Two of the four cores would be idle.

Back
Top Bottom