Laptop has started shutting off at random!

ssjgoku4ever

Beta member
Hey guys.

I have a one year old Toshiba Satellite P100 PSPADC laptop running Windows XP SP2. Over the last few days my laptop has started to power off randomly (as in completely shut off (like the power cord was yanked)). It seems to have happened to me usually when I was using Ableton Live 7 (producing music). A few days ago I tweaked a few things in XP in an attempt to improve the performance of XP for producing music (such as setting PROCESSOR SCHEDULING to BACKGROUND and not PROGRAMS) but since then I have changed those settings back to how they were originally. Also, perhaps I should mentioned that a) my laptop is always plugged in to an outlet via an external power adapter, b) under POWER OPTIONS (in control panel) my settings are ALWAYS ON and NEVER for everything else, and c) HIBERNATION is not activated.

How can I try to fix this problem? What settings should I be looking at to confirm that they are indeed setup as they should be?

Thanks for any help.

If the laptop is suddenly shutting down- then this is usually a sign of overheating. Many laptops have a feature that will shut themselves down rather than "fry". Is the laptop very hot when it does this- or does it sometimes do it when it is cold- as in when you are first starting up and running the program?

1. What are your complete specs?
2. Do you have an intel processor? Because if you do you can tell if you are overheating because there will be a constant dip in performance (intel's automatically slow down performance when the comp gets to a certain temp.)
3. You should run Windows Error Check Disk, you may have a bad sector

Deactivation of hibernation has been known to cause problems on computers - especially ones with Intel processors.

Back
Top Bottom