Unix or Linux

Smartpart

In Runtime
Okay, I don't know much about either. I know linux is based of unix. I only know one person using unix right now. What are the advantages of either. Does linux just have more GUI or what?

True UNIX OS'es are not free as well, Unix is more intended for servers. One exception to these is Solaris.

If you're just starting out exploring these options, I would recommend Linux first. Linux will allow you to have a nice looking GUI, with most of the command line options available in UNIX. Since Linux is based off of UNIX, many commands are the same- although there are many different commands as well, even in the different flavors of Linux. It really comes down to what you need it for. I can't think of any advantage UNIX has over Linux off the top of my head. No matter what you are planning, Linux is a good way to go.

Haven't seen you post in a while Mike.

You generally don't need Unix unless you're using it for commercial reasons. Stick with Linux.

Well I just installed ubuntu. Hopefully I can learn it fast.

In my opinion, Ubuntu is a great choice for a Linux noob. The GUI is simple and easy to use. You also have the opportunity to use BASH commands from the terminal. So, not only is it a great OS, it's also a great learning tool. :cool:

On a side note you can run Unix with the KDE environment and have it work fine. That is what we use on all our new computers a work, and it works great.

But go with Ubuntu for a while it is a great OS and has tons of potential for a new linux user.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom